Monday, April 4, 2011

There is a Motorcycle in my bucket list



Now I am not suggesting anyone go out and buy a motorcycle but my son Chase and I have talked for years about going to Sturgis together and if you don't know what that means you have not been there.  Basically it is the national motorcycle rally with well over 250,000 motorcycles gathering together during 10 days of the summer.  If you want to check it out here is their web page: http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/

Sturgis is a bunch of folks who grew up in the 60's who never got over their youth.  It is basically men with white hair and a lot of pony tails and lots of leather.  

Chase - home from his first trip to Sturgis

You will notice it is not a picture of Chase and me home from our first trip to Sturgis and that is the story.

As you can see I went out and purchased a beautiful Road King Classic and signed up for motorcycle lessons.  The great thing about those lessons is you ride little 250cc motorcycles that belong to the instructor, not you.  Just as you can imagine the instructor had a little of a rough edge and demeanor, kinda like a motorcycle guy.  

Side story here:  I know everyone has an image of motorcycle folks like Hell's Angels etc. and so did I, and do I.  But back to the story of Preston, our 23 year old son with Down syndrome, he loves everyone.  When he was about 10 years old we were at a McDonalds and in came this big, no neck, motorcycle guy with a very thick and wiry beard who when he smiled looked like an arm pit with teeth.  Preston jumped up and hi-fived him and said, "hey man, what ya doin".  They ate together and we became friends.  Preston taught me that folks of all sizes and shapes and whatever, are people and you just need to spend time and get to know them, even if they look like an arm pit with teeth.  Oh ya, did I mention the tattoos?  Jiminy Christmas, he had em!

Ok, back to the motorcycle class.  On the last day of class on the final obstacle course of the class I hit some gravel and laid down my practice bike with me on it.  I broke my leg.

After being on crutches for 3 months they decided it was not healing properly so I got to have surgery.  A steel plate, 8 screws and 3 more months on a walker and crutches then about 6 months of additional pain and another surgery to take out the plate and screws which were rubbing my ligaments in my leg and creating much pain then another 3 months on walker and crutches then I could ride my motorcycle.  Oh, yes I did pass the exam and have a bonified motorcycle license today.

I rode my beautiful Road King Classic about 16 miles, TOTAL.  There is actually more to this story but you get the picture.

What did I learn?
  •  Little motorcycles are dangerous just like big ones
  •  Always wear a helmet
  • Try everything in the bucket list
  • and of course from Preston I learned to not pre-judge - don't assume
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com


No comments: