Friday, April 1, 2011

Good Morning Lord - The Book Business

A little different today.

Have you ever woke up and just felt heavy in your demeanor?  Well I did today and let me tell you what I have done about it and maybe it will encourage you.

The first thing I do is (after getting showered, dressed, shaved, etc.) go get a cup of coffee at McDonalds at Memorial and Bryant.  So if you ever want to talk, come by there about 7:00 to 8:00 and I will be there reading.  I wish I could say I was doing my Bible study but the fact is I read the paper today and thought about what had to be done today.  After that I did pray for a few folks and asked God to help me figure things out so that my mind could get back on track.  Then I did something I learned selling books door to door during college.

I guess I should tell you a little about that first.  You see Harold Codding (Chuckles) had sold books the previous summer while at OSU (Oklahoma State University).  Now you probably wonder why I clarified that.  Another story, which I will tell right now.
Harold Codding

After college I went to work for EDS which was owned by Ross Perot (yes, the short guy with big ears from Dallas) and during my career I lived in several places but one of which was Chicago.  I was amazed for a while that OSU was in the papers quit often and how well they were doing in football.  After a few days I realized it was not our OSU but Ohio's.

Ok, back to the story.  Harold came home that summer with a check for something north of $5,000 and I thought that was fantastic.  So I called him up and asked how could I make that kind of money in the summer.  Come to find out Neal McConaghy, and Glen McConaghy and many others from the area had done the same thing.  (please let me know if you were a book man) Well during those summers there was a tendency to get down (depressed) after knocking on door after door in the county around Corbin, Kentucky.  That may sound hard or it may sound easy but let me tell you it was one of the most difficult jobs of my life.  Just to give you and idea here is a story from Marc Whitt:

Marc Whitt - Green Beret

Marcus wrote: "Gary, I was a "book man". I worked the summer of 1967 (before being taken to the Army Recruiter by my Dad; and that is another story). I sold a three book set of Bible reference books (Bible Story Book, Bible Reference Book and Bible Encyclopaedia; I think that is what they were called.) Anyway, I worked under Buddy Curnutt and walked the streets and rode bicycles in Terra Haute,IN. I was not a good salesman and felt sorry for a lot of the people we were to "focus on" and ended up giving away a lot of books. I ended up at the end of the summer OWING Southwestern Publising almost $400!!"

One of the things they taught you was how to overcome a since of doubt or depression or self pity.  So what I did this morning was the same thing I learned from Harold 40 years ago in Kentucky.  I stepped out and said:

"TWO FOR FIVE, MAN ALIVE, AIN'T IT GREAT TO BE ALIVE"

Actually I have a bazillion of these sayings and they ring true today at 58 years old just like they did when I was 18.  If that does not help you then stand outside in the street or on the sidewalk in front of folks, pound your chest like a monkey and say,

"Good Morning Lord, Two for Five Man Alive Ain't it Great to Be Alive".

Have a Great Day,
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepoineerman.com



No comments: