Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Barber Chair -- co-oped by Russell Whiles and me


 Love these hair cuts and remember these guys?

I will tell you about these signs later and I apologize I do not have a Phillips sign.

More memories...how many times did some of us sit on a board across the arms of the barber chair, in the shop on the corner where Don Chambers and Vol Parker cut hair? And the stories and general banter that bounced back and forth from chair to chair among the patrons...?  And do you remember that sometimes Don would cut your hair the way he wanted and not what you wanted?  I think he either talked to our parents without us knowing it or he just did not like long hair.  And if you go back and look in those year books of Coach Booher and Gilbreth or Coach Smith and Mr. Treadway and the list goes on but they had those butch hair cuts.  Now if you don't know what kind of hair cut that is let me explain.  Basically it is a burr/buzz but they leave about 1/2 inch in the front that you put some of the thickest wax (butch wax) to hold it straight up with just the top if long enough to fold back a little.   The girls loved it didn't they?  It was like Happy Days the TV show.
Boog but not with a butch hair cut  - close







 







Now that brings a story back to life.  Rance Howard the father of Oppie (not Doppie like my dog) who was the star of Happy Days graduated from Shidler.  And then there was Patty Page, Clara Ann Fowler, from Foraker and Ben Johnson from Pawhuska who worked on the Bill Lohman Ranch before Hollywood.  Any other actors from our parts?  Didn't Jimmy Houston's parents live in Grainola at one time?  He is the great bass fisherman.  Then there was Joe Ferguson from Kaw City that lived in the old Jim and Margaret Olsen's house north of Grainola.  Ok, OK, enough, but if you think of someone else let me know.

Does anyone recall an old doctor named Karasek, please help with the spelling on that name. Possibly he was an MD there in Shidler, or maybe he was a dentist down in Fairfax. I was in that dentist's office and enjoyed several doses of laughing gas, as a kid. (Russell remembered this one as my dentist was in Ponca).

Remember the personal service at the pump, at Cardy Bivins' station, out by the gasoline plant? Again, I need help with the name...just spelled Cardy like we always used to say it. He would always greet my sister and I with "Hi, Girls", just to get a rise out of me.  Now I know you are getting confused but this was from Russell and I like the way he wrote it so I don't want to change it.  I remember the service you use to get from Cardy as well and in fact that was a great time to go to any service station.  This reminded me that I own a bunch of old gas signs and each of these generally stand about 20 feet tall.



These signs are about to go to auction as I do not  have a place to store them so if you are interested send me an email.

Anyway, what did you learn in the Osage?
  •  all the news is at the barber shop
  • men gossip just as bad as women
  • when a person looks their best they will be their best and that is why we went to Don and Vol
Thanks for your time,
thepioneerman.com

No comments: