Sunday, February 27, 2011

Olson Family and how they got to the Osage

This is another story that was not posted when it was supposed to be on this blog.  I did find out what I did wrong as i was trying out other blog software and sites.
Cliff, Preston, Opal and me

This is Gary Olson and I would like for anyone from Grainola and the area around to tell their stories.   You are invited to send me your stories and I will review them and hopefully post them so you need to understand that if you send them they may wind up on the blog, in the Shidler Review, in a book or whatever I choose and don't expect anything but a big thanks for helping keep the memories of the Osage alive.
Wynter (our daughter) and her Uncle Larry (my brother)

My family was led by Olaf and Marry Olson who moved to Grainola somewhere around 1950.  My dad, Cliff Olson moved there around 1944 when Dad came to work on the ranch of Tanny and Nanny Olsen.  It was during these early years dad met Opal Lane, daughter of Jess and Anna Lane who lived west of Grainola about 1 mile and then on the hill where Bob Jackson lived during the 70 and 80′s and more.  Mom had sisters which most of the Grainola folks knew but by other last names as they were married, Gladys Snyder (Shidler math and science teacher), Peggy Heath (married Uncle Bill who is Jack Heath’s brother and who’s mother ran the Grainola post office), and the other sisters married and moved away to the Oolagah area.  There were also two brothers, Bill and Don, who lived mostly in the Oolagah area.  Uncle Bill worked in the logging industry in California until he retired to Oolagah.  Uncle Don farmed and ranched in that area his entire life.
Uncle Don was colorful in that he was always chewing tobacco with a big wad in his cheek making him look like a squirrel with a nut in his jaw.  My favorite time was when my brother, Larry, got stung by a bumble bee and Uncle Don took out his chew of tobacco and put it on Larry’s sting.  He said it would stop the swelling and the pain.  I am not sure if it worked but it grossed both of us out and if anything it took the attention off the pain and the swelling.
Wynter and William (daughter and son in law)
Old pic -- me, Shouna, Wynter, Chase, and Preston


I could write more stories but I think I will wait until next time.

Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: