Thursday, February 24, 2011

How to reach a Dad's heart? OC Eagles


Jeff Crocker, Andre Vaughn, Izea Lovejoy, Chad Endres and Coach Dan Hays with Preston.

Tonight I have to detour from my normal blog because these guys have made my heart swell up.  You see this was their last home game at Oklahoma Christian University in Edmond.  Four years ago Preston and I started going to the OC basketball games to see Jason Taylor (graduated last year) play ball.  What happened to me and my family is almost beyond words as I am so grateful for how these people MINISTERED to us by their actions.
Jason Taylor

It started with Jason who first welcomed us and loved my son in spite of the differences or because of the differences.  He took Preston to the locker room which made me especially nervous and concerned about how Preston would be received.  Everyone including Coach Dan and his assistants and coaches and players welcomed him in just like I expect Jesus to welcome those who love Him into his arms.  Coach Dan told me Preston was welcome any time into his gym.  Unless he reads this he will not know how touched I was by those words.

Tonight I just had to say thanks to these five young men for what they have done.  My eyes swelled up tonight as I tried to let them know just how thankful I am for what they have done.  Thank you, thank you and thank you.

Now it is my nature, I have to add one funny story.  I am going to take a little literary license here but bear with me.  The last home game two years ago there were two people who got to speak to the team after the game in the locker room and one was more famous then.  The first one was the best and it was Preston and the second one was Blake Griffin who was not quite as famous.  It was a treat and both really did speak to the team.  Blake was a gentleman to my son as well.

Well I have to tell you Preston and I are avid OC Eagles fans now and we do our best to make every home game for the girls and the guys and some of the away games.  They have poured out their hearts to us and we want to give back a portion of what we get.

Thank you EAGLES,
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Gary. It is wonderful and fun to have you and Preston with us in The Nest. I especially enjoy Preston's accompanying the band during time outs! Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

Gary, your sharing this story has made our day at OC. Those of us who work at OC are so blessed to know that our students, coaches, faculty, and staff are reflecting the love of Christ and making this a better world. Nancy and I have also been blessed and joyful at watching Preston direct the Sweat Band. Thanks for being part of our life and blessing the OC family.
Mike E. O'Neal, President, OC