Monday, February 21, 2011

The Lane Sisters

You may not recognize these three but they were "hot" in their days.



Left to Right
Peggy Lane
Earlene Lane
Opal Lane

Most folks know these ladies as Peggy Heath, Earlene Patterson and Opal Olson and for me I call the last one MOM. Don Cassleman (I spelled it right this time) told me the best basketball player in Oklahoma was Lois Lane (another sister) and the best looking woman to come out of Grainola ever was Opal Lane. Well at least I never thought of my mom as some beauty queen but seeing this picture tells a story.

Now another thing you should notice is these ladies are wearing pants! Yes Pants! How daring! Mom told me that prior to "Rosie the Riveter" in WWII women never wore pants, not even to plow in. Can you believe it? I make my wife plow in a dress like any decent man would! I bet that makes you feel better about how I treat my wife, Shouna.

Actually I was talking to Mom yesterday and she was telling me how Grandma Annie, her mom, used to plow the fields in a dress. I could not believe it. Mom told me that everyone of the kids had to do chores each morning before breakfast and school. Why if we tried to do that today they would arrest you for child abuse! I guess that is why their generation grew up knowing how to work and WHY to work and they appreciated the work.

Aunt Earlene and Uncle Harley Patterson lived down by Oologah, Oklahoma where they farmed and Uncle Harley was a mechanic. In fact he worked on jet engines for American Airlines in Tulsa. Uncle Harley taught his kids how to weld and fix about any vehicle or truck you can imagine. Wayne, Donna Jean, Stanley and Karen were Aunt Earlene's kids and some day I will spend a little time telling you about them.

Aunt Peggy and Uncle Bill Heath (Jimmy Heath's shared uncle) lived in Ponca City and had three of the smartest kids, well two out of three anyway, just kidding. Joe, Marie and Cathy. Again they are another story but I had a lot of fun with them.

Thanks for your time,
The Pioneer Man
Gary
don't forget to call or write
12501 Dutch Forest Place
Edmond, OK 73013
or gary@thepioneerman.com
Posted by Picasa

No comments: