Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chuckles -- He can't walk on water but?

Well he could never walk on water but he could walk on his two hands around the Bias Gymnasium and straighten a horse shoe or squeeze an apple in his hand and make apple sauce.  I would never want to embarrass the most humble and nicest guy I ever met, just kidding.  I would claim him a a cousin even though he is a distant one.  And I will not say anything about that super pretty girl he married, Nancy Nash (sister to Chris another pretty girl).

Have you ever tried to ask Harold a question about himself and get an answer without getting a question back?  Try it if you have not.  Before I go much further on Harold and Nancy I have to say I love this couple and admire them greatly.

Just a little background on Harold.  He is the son of Charles and Helen Codding who were partners with Don and Helen Joe Codding on the old Codding Cattle Research out of Foraker.  Now if you don't know anything about all that I will say that they had one of the prettiest ranches in the Osage which was well known for research on bulls and ultimately semen collection and embryo transplant technology.  They also pioneered the idea of "Rent a Cow" during the tax credit era (error could also work there, think politics)  in the 1960's and 70's.  I think it is pretty clear what embryo transplant is since it is done on humans today for those having difficulty having children.  But the semen collection might need some explaining which I don't think would be entirely appropriate here.  I will say that if you get a bull real excited and you are holding a jar in the right location there is a lot to catch.  Enough said about that.

Back to Harold, cousin to Julian which is one of my favorite and a story in the future.  Harold was one of the most athletic people to ever come out of Shidler.  He was so muscular that he could flap his ears.  He could even stand between two chairs and slowly do a hand stand on those two chairs.

But in my mind Harold's big claim to fame was football.  He was right up there with the great Ronnie West (running back who played in college at Northeaster).  Anyway Harold was the half back and I was the full back when Harold was a senior.  Harold had braces on both legs and could still out run everyone.  In fact I am probably the only full back to be run over every game and practice by the half back on the same team.  I think he could have out run me with both legs tied together.

What made Harold great was that he had a passion for everything he did.  He worked to do his best in everything. Every year he would start working out in mid July to be ready for football in the fall.  He would run through the tall grass prairies for miles over the hills and not on the roads.  Harold studied hard, played hard and laughed hard at everything.  In fact that is where he got his nickname, Chuckles.

I am going to have to write a few more stories on Harold but let me tell one last one today.  Once Harold and his mom were trying to lose weight so they made a bet.  Harold was so honest but every time they had a bite of desert they had to put a dollar in the jar for each bite.  Harold and I were at the 4-H livestock show in Pawhuska and Harold loved apple pie.  Harold purchased one normal piece and put the entire piece of pie in his mouth at one time.  It cost him a dollar penalty but the integrity was impressive.

What did I learn from watching and growing up with Harold:
a. watch what you are doing because lots of folks are watching especially the young ones
b. whatever you do give it your very best, no regrets
c.  laugh at yourself and I hope Harold is laughing now, I can't out run him
d. have integrity even when no one is watching, you will feel better about yourself

I know I did not say anything about Nancy but she was one of the smartest and prettiest girls in school and in fact I can honestly say the class of 1970 had a bunch of good looking girls.  If you want a list let me know.

Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: