Saturday, November 24, 2012

John Murphy

I guess I was just a little late finding out about John Murphy passing away last week.  John was a good friend although after moving away I hardly ever got to see him or talk to him.  John was always very friendly to me and would go out of his way to visit especially when I was home for a Shidler football game or homecoming. But what I remember most about John is his humor and dry wit.

Of course if you go back to some of the hold stories you will find about his concern for my pepsilyle (I don't think it was a word).  If you don't remember he had heard I had a turd in crossways.  But there are other stories like the time he got Jon Tanny up in the front end loader of a tractor and Jon Tanny wanted down and John Murphy acted like he could not hear.  Then there is the story of a barn salesman who came by and spent hours writing down every word because John pretended to be deaf.  The story goes that as the salesman left John told him "thanks for coming"  in spoken word.

I never knew if John just loved prairie chickens or did not like hunters but every season when the prairie chicken hunters would come to Grainola and hunt on Jim Olsen's place John would drive up and down the fence row making sure the hunters were not on his land and that the prairie chickens were not flying off of his property toward the hunters.

Another thing I really enjoyed about John was his love for OSU, Oklahoma State University or as he called it, Oklahoma A & M.  He was proud of OSU and he recruited constantly.  I felt like I let him down when I chose not to go there.   John set expectations for you and he was always and encouragement.  I don't remember him ever saying anything bad about anybody but I will never forget his kidding nature.  He was always good for a laugh.

Thanks to the Osage for John Murphy.
gary@thepioneerman.com


No comments: