Thursday, November 22, 2012

Dorothy Kelsey

Today is Thanksgiving 2012 and I am feeling blessed that I live in America, have a wonderful family and that Dorothy Kelsey was a part of my life.  Don, Dorothy and Kenny played an important part of my life but today with the passing of Dorothy and her celebration of life being tomorrow I have to bring back a few memories.

Dorothy had one of the sweetest laughs that made her special.  She spoiled Kenny and put  up with Don and his engineering extravaganzas like building a helicopter in the back yard and barn.  Most of all Dorothy was a beautiful person on the inside and outside. 

My fondest memories were when their family would come down to our house for a Friday or Saturday evening of card playing.  Typically the four adults would sit around the kitchen table drinking coffee and talking and playing cards.  But sometimes we would get to participate in 10 point pitch which was always my favorite card game.   

Of course Don was my first boss outside of Dad and Kenny was always the most talented and smartest guy in Grainola but as a little boy I thought Dorothy was the most beautiful and wonderful person and in fact when I was about in the second grade I told her she was my girl friend.  She accepted that responsibility and always gave me a hug. 

Dorothy was an encourager as she never seemed to get too worried or over react to situations like the time I threw a rock over the car and it hit Kenny in the head.  He was bleeding like a stuck hog (that means a lot of blood was coming out of his head).  Dorothy and Mom just patched him up and we went on playing.  Or how about the time Kenny and a bunch of us got into a rotten egg fight.  As a side note, now that I think about it, Kenny got his laugh from Dorothy.  Dorothy laughed easily and never got upset with us for getting that rotten egg smell all over us. 

You know as I think about it I think some of the reasons Dorothy and Mom did not get mad is they were probably a lot more ornery than we were when they were kids.  I think most of all they expected us to be kids and allowed us to make mistakes. 

Well in summary I just have to say it was a wonderful blessing to have Dorothy as a part of my life and she made a difference.  She will always be a part of me.

Thanks for your time,
Gary@thepioneerman.com


 

No comments: