Thursday, August 16, 2012

Teach by Example

There are many ways to teach but here are two:
  • Teach others by what you do
  • Teach others by what you don't do
There are more theories and philosophies out there than you can shake a stick at but one thing for sure is that there are folks watching you.  When I was about 8 years old the Surgeon General of the US came out with a warning that Cigarette Smoking can Kill you.  Suddenly it was on every pack of cigarettes and it was all over the newspapers and TV.  Literally that day my mom quit smoking.  We use to see cigarette butts in the ash trays with red lipstick on them everyday.  I suppose most young folks don't know or have never seen ashtrays lying around the house especially with bright red lipstick on them.  Mom always said she NEVER quit wanting a cigarette but she NEVER picked up one again.    She taught a great lesson without saying a word.  She taught many things without words:
  • common sense
  • discipline
  • commitment
  • your actions speak louder than words
  • caring about others
  • love
I had to ask her why she quit because she did not tell us, she just quit.  Her actions taught both ways, by doing and what she was not doing.

Now let's take this a step further on the logic trail.  If everyone knows it is bad and it is written on the label and you do it anyway, who is responsible?  you or the company?

Let's assume you think it is the company because they pushed cigarettes or even put something in there making it addicting.  Well when you were in the Army the government gave you cigarettes when in combat.  Are they responsible?  If your parents allowed you to smoke then are they responsibile?  When you go to the store you pick up up the package with the label on it and you took your money out of your pocket and purchased it, who was responsible?  If that is not enough to make you realize who is responsible then lets change the topic.

First I have to say I am not a drinker but I don't think the Bible says not to drink.  It says don't do it in excess and if you don't believe me try reading it and prove me wrong.  Now I will have to tell you on rare occasion I have drank a little wine but that is about the end of it.  OK, so back to the point.  Doesn't the same logic of responsibility no matter which way you believe (the company or you are responsible) apply to drinking.  What I mean is if you believe companies make you smoke then companies make you drink.  Companies make you drive. Companies make you eat.  Or?  Parents make you go to school.  Parents make yo get dressed.  Parents tell you right and wrong.  Parents smoke in front of you or drink in front of you.  Parents watch bad movies and use bad language in front of you.  Who is responsible for you?

Well here is what I learned in the Osage?
  • I am responsible for my actions, good or bad
  • I can be disciplined or not, my choice
  • I can be what I want to be if I decide I want to be
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com



No comments: