Monday, August 13, 2012

Growing up a little fast

My first grade picture


I was born a lot unhealthy and the doctors did not think I had much of a chance to grow up to a normal size.  I had lots of allergies and spent my first birthday in the hospital and by the second birthday I had my tonsils out and was allergic to milk and about everything else.  Now living on a dairy that was even more of a challenge as there was milk everywhere and a lot of it.  Of course I don’t remember much of that but that is the story I was told.  The interesting thing about those predictions from the doctors is that by the time I was in the second grade I was pushing five foot tall.  Everyone thought I was a giant.  By the time I was in the 8th grade I was 6’2” and 205 lbs.  Still am, at least on the 6’2”.

Let me tell you the good and the bad about this:
·      In the first grade they put me in a high school chair which really hurt my feelings – I would have done anything to fit in one of those small chairs
·      When two people are talking, like Jon Tanny and Jimmy, and the teacher, Mrs. Snyder, tells them to be quiet you can assist the teacher by grabbing both behind the head then pressing their heads together in a swift and vibrant motion.  I banged their heads together.  It backfired on me, as Mrs. Snyder got mad at me.  I was just trying to help.
·      Everybody wants you on their team, even if you are slow and I don’t mean mentally.
·      The teachers and other adults treat you like you are a lot older than you are even when they know you are mentally young.  I even got charged at the movies a higher price because they did not believe I was so young.
·      Hugh Jones was the only person willing to fight me and he just loved getting beat up.  I guess that is why he is a great Marine, not because he liked getting beat up but he had an incredible amount of courage and tenacity.
·      People did not look down on me because I was taller and bigger than them.  That was a joke.
·      I got to drive a tractor and pickup somewhere around 9 years old.
·      Girls discovered me before I even was interested and in fact I am certain I could not even spell girls until the 8th or 9th grade. 
·      I got to play any and every sport I tried out for and even started in every sport.
None of that sounds so bad but what folks did not understand was I had a child’s mind in that big body.  I wanted to be like everyone else.
·      I wanted to be fast like Hugh Allen
·      I wanted to be smart like Jim Heath
·      I wanted to be funny like Jon Tanny
·      I wanted to be popular like so many
·      I wanted to be talented like Steve Chrisco
What is interesting is later on in life I learned that even smaller people wanted the same things and some of them wanted to be big and strong like me.  But what I chose to remember is that in Shidler pretty much everyone treated me well and allowed me to be clumsy and a silly kid just like everyone else.  They were, without exception, friends and supporters.  What I do remember is there were folks who had less talent, not as good looking and those who were extremely talented and great looking but everyone were a friend.  Maybe I just missed it because I did not care or was not smart enough to catch on but everyone was a friend with everyone.  If you were excluded it was because you chose to be excluded.

Maybe I am like Will Rogers but I don’t think so.  I think everyone liked everyone; we never met a person we did not like.

So what do you learn in the Osage?
·      What you think others think of you is not what others think of you?  You better ponder and read that again and again.
·      What you think of others is not as important as how you treat others.
·      If you kick your dog when no one is around you are a scumbag and YOU and your dog know it.
Thanks for your time,

No comments: