Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How do we teach? by example




There is an important lesson here:


A man was walking down the street when he was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked him for a couple of dollars for dinner. The man took out his wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked,

"If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of
dinner?"

"No, I had to stop drinking years ago," the homeless man replied.

"Will you use it to go fishing instead of buying food?" the man asked.

"No, I don't waste time fishing," the homeless man said. "I need to spend
all my time trying to stay alive."

"Will you spend this on hunting instead of food?" the man asked.

"Are you NUTS!" replied the homeless man. "I haven't hunted in years!"

"Well," said the man, "I'm not going to give you money.   Instead, I'm going to take you home for a shower and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that?

The man replied, "That's okay. It's important for her to see what a man
looks like after he has given up drinking, fishing and hunting ."

Well if you are like me you laughed out loud.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Sometimes you should be thankful for what you got
  • It may look greener on the other side of the fence but you had better be careful in what you wish for
  •  Live longer by laughing at yourself and don't get your underwear in a wad
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: