Friday, August 31, 2012

Dr. Drummond - so refreshing

 I took my mom to have cataract surgery in Stillwater by Dr. Drummond.  What I experienced was way beyond expectations.  While waiting for mom and before the surgery I was wondering around the office when Dr. Drummond spotted me.  I had not met him before and certainly we did not know each other.  Well, I should say we possibly could have met before at Charles Codding's funeral a few months back when he hosted the celebration of a great life.  If we had met neither of us remembered.

Anyway, he did not know I was the son of his patient and since there were other surgeries going on he could not have known that I was even related to one of his patients.  He took the initiative to introduce himself and then proceeded to inform me as he learned my name that he was the doctor for my mom.  He assured me she was a good patient and that he would take care of mom.

The second encounter was even more impressive.  After the surgery and after mom was settled in her room he came in an sat down in a chair.  He expressed that everything went perfect and then talked us through the recovery process and how to handle medications, etc..  Then! He asked about the family and what mom's kids did and where they were.  He asked about my kids and what they did.  He shared about his family and of course we made some connections in folks we each shared friendships with.  We even have some common relatives.  I made the comment, "you are the most customer focused and have the nicest bed side manner I have ever seen".   His response was even greater, he said, "I am in the service business and my clients are most important".  You would have thought I was at Chick-fil-et or the Apple computer store.  No wonder he LOVED his job, he loved his clients.

I don't know about you but since Joe Rash of Shidler and Cecil Snyder (our family doctor from Winfield, Kansas), Mr. Cornutt (Otasco store) or Wendal Andrews (old time Shidler banker) customer service or client service has been a dying characteristic in business and everywhere else.

Well what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Did I mention that Dr. Drummond grew up in the Osage (Hominy and I don't mean the food)?  
  • How you treat people is your choice, not your personality.
  • Treat folks how you want to be treated.  If you are treated badly perhaps you should check out home plate.
  • For all you folks looking for a spouse, the person you are interested in is going to treat you how they treat the waiter, the waitress, their mother or their father.  You have been warned.
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: