Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Shirley's Brownies

My family loved brownies but during high school I dated a girl named Shirley who changed brownies forever.  In fact those brownies and the brownie recipe we have at our house today 40 years later are still named "Shirley's Brownies".  I know this little story is going to mess up your diet but when something is this good you just have to share it.  You see those brownies that Shirley made were firm but not too firm around the edges and not quit crisp on top but when you cut into them they were just a little goey, yes goey.  I suppose I have to explain that but GOooooEeeeY means it is not sticky like syrup and not runny and not totally baked up like a cake but just a little past doughie and hot when ready.  Do I need to explain doughie or is it doughy?  Anyway it is not raw but cooked  and still very moist.  In fact if you get after the brownies right when they come out of the oven and you cut into the center you can put a chunk of butter on it and that chunk will melt down in a hurry.  My goodness that is good eat'n! OK, here is a definition of  'get after'.  It means cut and eat immediately out of the oven. It can also mean you better get busy or Dad will 'get after' you.

 Now the way I do it is I cut the brownie in half and put the chunk of butter inside.  I do that for a couple of reasons.  First, it melts the butter faster.  Second, it butters both the top and bottom so you can eat them separate or as a sandwich of brownie filled with butter.  Third, if my wife, Shouna, can't see the butter then I cannot get in trouble for putting all that butter on my brownie.  Jimminee Chirstmas, that makes me want a brownie.  So here today is "Shirley's Brownies":

2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa
1 cup Crisco
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup milnot
1 cup flour
1/2 tablespoon Vanilla ( I love Vanilla but it does not taste like it smells, trust me)
1 cup chopped nuts, preferably pecans and it is NOT PEE Cans -- it IS PAcans
     it is ok with me if you add more pecans
Cream the first four ingredients then add eggs one at a time then add the rest

Bake in 10x15 pan for 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes

Did I mention Shirley was a great little basketball player and cheerleader?  Did I mention she was one of those Burbank girls who transferred to Shidler?  Did I mention her parents were very nice folks who owned a gas station over by Ponca on the east side of the bridge?

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • How to make brownies!
  • You can never have too many nuts in the recipe and in fact nuts are what make life interesting so go find a few and get to know them
  • Share the good things in life like Shirley's Brownies
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: