Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Barbara Rash -- a cornerstone to Shidler

I cannot say that I knew Barbara very well but Joe and Barbara were a cornerstone to the infrastructure to Shidler.  It was their store where I could go look at the first color TVs I ever saw and the first turn table/record player.  Their appliance store and the Otasco store were where dreams were born for me.  We got our first clothes dryer there and our first record player and our first wash machine.  RCA was the name brand I remember most and the quality of products but the friendly customer service and most of all I remember the cool air in their store because they had air conditioners which we never had.  Mom and Dad always spoke well of the Rash family and I would have to say my experience was the same.

Most of all I remember the kids and when you would go over to their house everyone was welcome.  In fact I would say their house was where everything was happening.  First off Gene who seemed to always have a great time and was a talented musician was amazing to me.  I never could sing a tune in a bucket or anywhere else someone would care to hear me but Gene had the talent and his buddy Wiley Smith.  As I remember Steve Chrisco was another one in that group of talented folks.  Now I don't want to down play their talent but I would not know if they were doing anything right or not but it seemed to me they were pretty good.  Joe and Barbara must have been pretty encouraging folks as they seemed to be positive sponsors of their children's ambition and interest.

Now Jeri was in my class (that goes to show you I really do have class) and she was the pretty one and Jody was cute because she was always a kid to me.  Isn't it interesting how as you get older those kids like Jody don't seem to be so much younger than they did when you were in school?  Anyway Jeri never seemed to be the ornery one but I think she was quietly in the thick of things.  I think she was smart enough to stay under the radar when it came to trouble.  At least what I remember when the girls were getting kicked out of school for those short short dresses I don't remember Jeri ever getting in trouble although those were her running buddies.  I will not mention those names but Cindy and Terry come to mind and Jenni but I will not mention their last names to protect their innocence.  Was Jeri one of the perpetrators of the stolen school car in Stillwater while on a band trip?  Well it was not stolen but borrowed for a short run to the local convenience store and a trip around town.  Now as I recall Marilyn Bivins was her close running buddy and Marilyn kept things exciting and again I think Jeri was just smart enough to let Marilyn be out front.  Now that I think about it that is pretty smart because the one out front gets shot first.

Well what I do remember about the Rash family is mostly the TV and Appliance store and how everyone was always welcome at their home.  Barbara raised three great kids (as far as I know anyway especially Jeri) and was a wonderful ambassador for Shidler as you saw her at every event long after the store was gone.  Great folks like Barbara will be greatly missed.

So what do you learn from the Osage?

  •  No matter what you think, you are a mentor and an example to young folks so be your best like the Rash family
  • Lead or get out of the way, that is how I saw Barbara as a leader in Shidler
  • Pay tribute to those who walked before you in order to make a brighter tomorrow for others just like the Rash family
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

Barbara passed away this morning and if you have an endearing story please send it or comment below in honor of a great lady.  Thanks, Gary








3 comments:

Gary Olson, The Pioneerman.blogspot.com said...

from Steve Blake
--

As always Gary you are right on it. Joe & Barb were the heart and soul of Shidler. Shidler wouldn’t have been the same without them and will not be the same without them. The TV Shop was the social pivot point of Shidler. If you wanted to know something, you went to the TV Shop. Always a pot of coffee going and if you were there at closing time maybe something stronger. Barb and were girls kept the Alumni Assoc. up and going for years. You, like me never played a football game at home that Joe wasn’t announcing the game. I always heard that Joe’s price on his repairs on appliances matched the economic situation of the individual who needed the repair. I am sure many were free. I would occasionally go with Joe to deliver a appliance if he needed help, but that didn’t mean that if we were close to a pond or creek Joe liked that we didn’t stop to wet a line. He always had his fishing rod with him. One of my fondest memories of Joe is fishing off of the railroad bridge in Kaw City, before the dam. I caught a pretty good size catfish once and of course Joe climbed all the way to the bottom of the bridge to grab him for me. I can not be sure but I would bet that somebody’s washer & dryer was in the back of his truck and they were waiting for the delivery when we were catching that fish. You have to keep the right order in life and Joe did.

When my Father died at a very young age, we received great moral support from Joe & Barb. It was much needed.

Anonymous said...

In brief 3 years living in Shidler, I came to learn that Mrs. Rash was THE First Lady of Shidler, and always will be. She was ever present at Homecoming events, fundraisers, Halloween Trick or Treat for my Kindergarten class and always had a smile, wit, charm and willingness to help. She was a tremendous asset to the community and will be dearly missed.

Gary Olson, The Pioneerman.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for sharing this as she was very important to the community and I know that Jody is there taking on her presence.

gary