Monday, May 21, 2012

I come to the garden alone ...

A few of you have been watching my Facebook and of course saw my comment about the song IN THE GARDEN.  Now let me tell you what was behind that.

When I was in grade school Margarete Olsen (Jon Tanny's mom) taught choir at the Grainola Methodist Church.  Maggie, as we all called her, taught us many songs but this one stuck out to me for some reason.  It inspired me and gave me comfort during my times of insecurity and alone-ness (is that a word?).  I found myself singing it today in my office without even thinking about it.  Have you ever done that where something was going on inside you and you suddenly realized you were doing something totally without thought?  Well that just happened.  Another thing that is freeing to me is writing this blog where I can be transparent about my thoughts and feelings.  Yes, feelings and I know guys are not supposed to have those and I can think of a couple who missed out on most of it but the rest are liars about not having feelings.

Well today I have to give a big thank you to Maggie who gave me some appreciation for music and gave me these songs of comfort.  She did kick me out of choir and Jon Tanny should have been kicked out as well.  Now that I think about it she could never kick him out because then she would have to figure out how to keep him out of trouble while she was teaching choir.  Her only defense was to keep him there while sending me home gave the problem to mom.  I really don't remember what I did but I am sure it was justified and now back to that song and Thanks to Margarete Olsen who gave of herself.

Here are the words to that song:

  1. I come to the garden alone,
    While the dew is still on the roses,
    And the voice I hear falling on my ear
    The Son of God discloses.
    • Refrain:
      And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
      And He tells me I am His own;
      And the joy we share as we tarry there,
      None other has ever known.
  2. He speaks, and the sound of His voice
    Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
    And the melody that He gave to me
    Within my heart is ringing.
  3. I’d stay in the garden with Him,
    Though the night around me be falling,
    But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
    His voice to me is calling.


So with all that, what do you learn in the Osage?

  • If you can see past the weeds in your life there are pretty blooms everywhere
  • When you feel there is no hope just remember, "He walks with me, and He talks with me ..."
  • Friends are like roses, they can cause pain but they are worth the effort
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com




No comments: