Sunday, March 2, 2014

Ruby's Store

Ruby Jackson's gas station and grocery store
I don't know about you but who could ever forget the memories of Ruby Jackson's Store. Now of course she had to compete with Dale's Feed, Seed and Fertilizer (another story). But Bob Scott the bus driver and head honcho after Lizzie (the school cook)at the Grainola School would stop the school bus at Ruby's once a week and let us get off the bus and get a Pepsi (that is generic for a pop).

There really were 5 cent bottles of pop and it was terribly exciting when Ruby started carrying 12 and 16 oz. bottles instead of just 8 oz. bottles of pop. By the way a bottle was glass not plastic and when you brought the bottle back you could get a nickle for each empty bottle. Now if you were local to Grainola you would call that "stopping for a Pepsi" no matter what you would purchase. Anyway (I promise to use that word once every story) those larger bottles were originally 10 cents then later 15 cents and a giant Babyruth bar was 5 cents until it went to 10 cents. If you are under 40 there is no way you will understand the size of that Babyruth candy bar but it was about 9 to 10 inches long and looked like a ______. You tell me.
Now this might seem trivial but I remember struggling with some folks who could afford a Pepsi and a candy bar on the same trip. You might think in today's terms that was bad but as I look back I think it built character because it made me a better person in the long run. Let me explain.
First, I learned that some folks could not afford what others did and I remember wanting to share with those who could not afford as much. I learned to share in someone else's humanity and humility. I was humbled.

Second, I learned that if I worked hard I could afford more and therefore it made me competitive.

Third, I learned that if I saved my money I could buy something that lasts longer than an immediate satisfaction. I learned to save.
Fourth, I learned my self image was not about how much I could afford and that I should make quality choices in life.

Fifth, I learned circumstances do not make the person but the decisions I make effect others as well as myself.

Mrs. Head, please forgive me for using "I learned" too often. She really was a great teacher but don't tell her that.

Back to Ruby. The anticipation of that stop every week was huge and it made me angry when someone acted up on the bus and Bob canceled the event of stopping at Ruby's. I would like to see some confessions on who was guilty on these occasions. In those days there were consequences for bad behavior. I am not going to mention that Billy Snyder, my cousin, and I ever caused any problems at Ruby's except the one time he tried to hit me with the Pepsi bottle. I am confident that it was not my fault.

Now Saturday's were also big for me with a trip to Ruby's. You see my Grandpa Olson lived right down the street. Every Saturday that Mom and Dad would let me I would go to Grandpa's and play checkers (another story). Anyway, Grandpa and I would always walk down to Ruby's and get Nehi strawberry or cherry pop plus a package of those cinnamon rolls with the white icing. Do you remember how the paper was wrapped up on the sides and if you were lucky the icing dripped down the side and you could get a little extra icing? Man I loved those cinnamon rolls. Guess that is why my favorite food today is cinnamon rolls. I never told Aunt Peggy (Jimmy Heath's aunt as well) or Mom (Opal) that I lied to them about their cinnamon rolls. You see I told both of them that theirs were my favorite so that they would both make me cinnamon rolls. Today they don't make me cinnamon rolls but they are still my most favorite food. It is their fault I need to lose weight or is it because I make bad decisions about eating too much? I had rather blame them.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Wanting something bad enough is a good thing
  • Wanting something someone else has can make you try harder if you make good decisions
  • Learning happens everyday even on the school bus home
Thanks for listening,


Gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: