Thursday, March 20, 2014

People don't change much but they can if they decide

Easter is coming and that brings a lot of changes.  Of course it brings the daffodils and tulips but it also brings most families to one of two annual trips to church.  I remember Kerney Graham, pastor of the United Methodist Churches at Grainola, Webb City and Foraker sharing an observation that on Christmas and Easter a lot of families think about the spiritual side of life.  I was a kid back then but never forgot his thoughts about if I were to stand before God and He was looking at my church attendance would He be thinking I am on his team?  The better question I thought was, "would He let me in?" or "would there be evidence that I was guilty of being one of His".   Or "why should He let me in?" might be a great question.  Luckily I found the answer.

Have you ever noticed in life those small events or people who really made a difference in your life?  Maybe I am different but I have considered a lot of those things from growing up in the Osage.  Here is a short list:

5 years old:  I was told I was a hero for protecting Denise Logue from a big dust devil.  I thought it was a tornado.  I felt mature and good about my actions.

7 years old: Geneva Snyder (first grade teacher before she had a brain tumor) telling me I was too big.  I wished for years I was small like Jon Tanny, Jimmy H. and Hugh Allen Jones.

9 year old: Aunt Gladys (Shidler High School Teacher) telling me I was really good at puzzles and understood new math better than some of her high school students.  I studied math and science in college and her encouragement drove my entire career.

10 Years old:  Mr. Lewis Morris encouraging me in math and science and sports.

Always: Mom and Dad telling me I could do anything if I chose to and worked hard enough.  They never said I had to be the smartest but just focus and stick to it.

12 Years old:  Coach Gillstrap told me I should play football and he wanted me on his team.  I could not wait.  I was so excited that I talked my folks into to letting me go to Shidler one year early.

16 years old:  Dr. Maoza (not sure how to spell it) told me I could not play football.   I became more determined than ever to play in spite of an injury as a freshman.

16 years Old:  Mrs. Helen Head telling me how well I dressed.  It made me try harder as I wanted to meet her expectations.  She was a tough one but she made me better at English and I wanted to please her.

17 years old: Mr. Treadway telling me I was one of his best acting students and I needed to keep my sideburns cut.  

Well you get the idea.  I know some folks are not as competitive and some folks just have more talent and potential but I never thought my glass was half full.  I did not try to find the bad in folks or figure out why I should be unhappy or why I was not as smart as the next person.  In fact over the years I have made the comment that a lot of folks are smarter but I can out work anyone and with enough time I will win.  Losing and being depressed or getting down on myself was not an option.  I do have to confess that over the years I have had plenty of ups and downs and I do get down on myself sometimes but overall I just want to be the best I can be with what I got and a little bit more.  

So what do you learn in the Osage?
  • Going to church is not a one or two time event but a life style especially if you really do want Him to decide in your favor.  Luckily none of it depends on me other than making a choice.  If you don't get the idea call me and I will explain.
  • Getting down has no bearing on the outcome.  Only getting up and doing it quickly matters.
  • Encourage someone.  Make a difference, a positive difference, in someones life even if you don't have the fortitude to make your own life better.  
  • It is ALL your choice!  
  • Don't count on God if He cannot count on you.
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: