Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Folks from the Osage know more folks than anyone

Today I was at Cafe 7 by Quail Springs Mall eating lunch with Randy Scott and right next to us came a lady carrying 3 cupcakes.  Now being the quiet types Randy and I, actually me, told the lady thanks for getting 3 cup cakes since there were two of us and one of her.  She laughed and said, "sure".  We had a little small talk and then she went to get her drink.  Well in just a minute an older lady came and sat down at that table and behind her was the first girl plus one new one.  Now I am not tacky enough to ask her age or say anything about her age but she said she was 73 and the two girls were her daughters.  They were 29ish, politically speaking.

Now Randy and I were done eating and Randy reached over and tapped the "new girl" on the shoulder and asked her to pass the cup cakes.  They laughed and "did not pass the cupcakes" but we got into a conversation.  I suggested I was a country boy and when I was young I liked the little paper cup the cupcake was cooked in because I liked to take my teeth and scrape out the cake left on the bottom of the paper cup.  The older lady, we will just call her "mom", said or asked, "where were you a country boy?" and suggested she was from the country as well.  I of course said proudly, "the Osage".  She informed me she was from Bartlesville.

Mom began to tell stories about who she knew and who she grew up with in Bartlesville.  She knew E.C. Mullendore and her mom, the Johnstones, and more.  I shared that I use to work for the Mullendores and my boss was Don Kelsey and Paul Jones and that Paul was mentioned in the book.  Her girls got a kick out of hearing the stories and Randy made a joke about if she kept digging she would find that I owed her money.  In just a few (minutes) she handed me over the paper cup from the cupcake with the remaining cake attached to the paper.  We all laughed and Randy and I got up to fill our drinks and leave.

Well on the way back by their table on the way out the door I handed Mom my card, The Pioneer Man.  Well that opened another can of worms.  She began to tell me how she was a friend and sorority mate of Peggy Olsen when she was at OSU.  She was thinking that Peggy had married Chuck Drummond (father in law of Ree Drummond) and I of course corrected her.  But the buzz was on as her daughters started telling me how they loved THE PIONEER WOMAN.  I told them I did not know her and had never met her but that her mother in law was a distant cousin to me even thought we spell our names different.  It gets way too complicated so I just told her the difference between The Pioneer Woman and The Pioneer Man is that Ree gets 30,000,000 hits a month and I get 30.  She writes about things all folks like to read about and I write about the Osage and the People I love and admire there.

What do you learn from the Osage?

  • It is a very small world 
  • If you are from the Osage you know someone who knows everybody
  • The dust of the Osage can never be shaken from your boots and I love it
  • God bless America and the Osage
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com


No comments: