Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas in the Osage

Christmas took forever to get here every year but it was such a big time of year.

My favorite thing was driving up to Silverdale, Kansas as they decorated To the hilt. By the way I never did know where the word "hilt" came from but it sounds good. In case you don't know it Silverdale is a town built around a limestone rock quarry. If you go through Newkirk,Ark City, or Winfeld you will see lots of buildings and houses made with Silverdale Limestone. if you go to Clifford Farms in Edmond, Oklahoma you will see the same. And yes I did name the addition after my dad, not Cliff Smith or Greg Clifford even though they are great friends of mine. Sure hope they think so also. Anyway, back to Silverdale, they had lights all over their roofs and special setups or scenes like where they had an ice skating rink that had skaters and it turned and music played! It was the best! They really cared about the season.

Another of my favorite events was at the Grainola United Methodist Church. We had Christmas carols and decorations and Santa every year. Maggie Olsen played the piano which was a delight to me even though she kicked me out of the choir. Now as a side note she should have kicked Jon Tanny out to and throw in Eddy Harris for the principle of it. I guess the real fact is you can't kick out your own kid. Strangely enough I loved choir even though to this day I can't really sing. In fact I married Shouna so there would be a little musical talent in the family. Actually I fell in love with her because she was just a great person and loved the Lord. Just another detour in my story but I do have to tell you that December 21st we will be married 37 wonderful years, 33 for her and 4 for me. Just kidding.

At the church every year we got a brown paper (not plastic) sack filled with pretty rock candy made in Dexter, Kansas. Also in each sack (not a bag like in yankee land)was an apple or orange and a couple of chocolate covered candies called sugar tits. Don't blame me I did not name them. Also there were a few nuts and if you were real unlucky you got orange slices. If you don't know what I mean go read my story on orange slices.

Well after church we would start the ride home to the house, 1 mile north and 3 west, past Vea's house. When traveling west you crossed the old Midland Valley Railroad tracks and I remember dad stopping the car and telling us to look up and listen. I swear I heard bells on Santa's sleigh and I thought I saw Santa up in the stars streaking across the bright sky mixed into the Milky Way. The stars were magnificent in the Osage. Fact is I bet they are still there today, go take a look. When we got home every year I was amazed that Santa had already been to our house. We opened presents and had a delightful family time.

What do you learn in the Osage?
1. If you look around it is obvious God exists whether you believe it or not.
2. Take time and make it an event, not for you but for others
3. Your efforts impact other people's lives even if you don't know it
4. Look up at the stars and you will see the eyes of God.

Have a great Christmas season and prepare your heart during Thanksgiving,
Gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: