Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Rattle Snake of a time with Kenny Kelsey

Kenny Kelsey 2011 at Shidler
I cannot tell you how much it meant for me to see Kenny at the Shidler High School Reunion.  Kenny was four years older than me but we spent a lot of time together hauling hay and other things which I am going to admit to but not endorse for future generations.  So here goes.

Now I want to start with propane tanks and Boggie.  We use to go over to his house and his dog, Boggie, a bulldog would chase us and we would jump up on the the propane tank.  Boggie would never hurt anyone but he loved to play and quit frankly when it was hot I always like to play on the propane tank because it was cool.  Other times we would just lean up against the cool tank in the shade and Boggie would crawl up next to us and cool off.  Those were great days.

Now one of my favorite stories was the time we were hauling hay and up came a bale of hay on the wagon and a live rattle snake came over the bale and struck at Kenny's hand.  The snake got its fang stuck in Kenny's glove.  Ken proceeded to beat that snake to a pulp.  Now that is not all of the story because Boog Williams loved to bale up snakes for us.  So, Kenny and I think, Glen Jones found a dead rattle snake and put it in a coil on the seat of the tractor where Boog would sit.  Now Boog loved to jump up on the tractor just to show off but that time he flew off faster than a snake can strike.

The last story is  Boog, Kenny and Don (Kenny's dad) thought it would be a good idea to have a few beers by Lake Hulah  near the Mullendore Ranch where we were working.  Well I had never had a beer and Boog enjoyed promoting me to have a few.  After what seemed like about two dozen cans I don't remember a thing but Boog, Kenny and Don did.  Well we were staying in a very small trailer house and Boog and I got to sleep in the same bed.  Boog later regretted his behavior as I upchucked everything I ate and drank that evening on the bed and Boog.  Not a good idea.

What do you learn in the Osage?

  • don't sleep with a drunk
  • think about the consequences of your action, it might really stink
  • Getting even can be a lot of fun and a little snakey
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com





No comments: