Monday, October 3, 2011

John Murphy and a pepsilyle -- go figure


There are two things you can say about John Murphy, he loves Oklahoma State University and he loves to have a good time.  Now when I tell this story I have to say these stories have been passed around a few times but you will get the idea.

Pepsilyle – I don’t even know if there is such a thing but John had me going one time when he asked me if I was OK.  Have you ever had someone ask you if you are doing alright and give you a look of, "I know something is wrong"?  Well that is what John did to me.  I thought I was doing just fine but he insisted that he had heard I was ill.  I responded and told him, "no, I am fine".  He insisted that he heard I had to go to the hospital and that I had a pepsilyle.  Don't even try to look it up because it does not exist as a word.  He gave me that look of concern and I did admit that I had gone to the doctor.  I had no idea how he even could have known but we did have a party line.  If you don't remember that is where several families share a telephone line.  

Anyway, John insisted it was a pepsilyle.  Then he was kind enough to tell me with a serious face that a pepsilyle is a turd in cross way.  I am sure he was laughing inside as he sucked me into the story.

Now for another story on John.  It was always told that John liked to get salesmen to come by and he would cup his hand to his ear and point indicating that he could not hear.  Then he would proceed to have them write everything down.  The story goes he was having a building built and getting bids when he had a salesman writing down everything for about three hours.  when the salesman was on his way to the car John said in a normal voice, "thanks for coming".  Now I cannot verify all this but John did enjoy on occasion letting folks think he could not hear, ask Jon Tanny Olsen about the time John left him in the bucket of a front end loader for a while.

Now what do you learn in the Osage?
  • sometimes I am just not sure
  • have a good time and a good joke makes for good memories
  • don't take things too seriously
  • don't take yourself too serious
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com



No comments: