Monday, October 10, 2011

Gravel Roads

Don, Bill, Mom, Gladys, Lois, Erlene, Peggy (Lane Aunts and Uncles)
When I was young I told my folks over and over how I was not coming back until the roads were paved.  I am not sure what influenced me the most but there were a few things that stuck out.

Of course my folks had to be number one as they taught me to work hard, not waste time, get up early and get started and stick it out in hard times and good.  Dad always said, "it is burning daylight, let's get going".  Mom always made sure we had clothes ready which meant clean, ironed and in the closet plus she always made sure we weren't waiting on getting fed as there were things to do.  They taught me to work when working and not waste time or another person's money.  And you were to earn more than you were paid.

Now if that does not make since it is because people don't teach EARNING anymore but here is a simple version, "when a person pays you to do something EXCEED the expectations".  My folks also taught me to never expect the person I was working for to necessarily be thankful for the job I did or the effort I put in.  I think they figured that if the person did not appreciate how hard I worked that the next time they hired someone they would realize what a great deal they had.  They also taught me that if someone did not appreciate the effort I put in and if I felt bad about what I was paid that next time I should either refuse to take the job or just raise my price or just maybe I did not do as good a job as I should have.  Now if that does not make since to you here is another way to think about it, "if you agreed on a price up front then you had to do what you agreed to do for what you said".  Your word was your honor.

Aunt Gladys, Gladys Snyder, showed me discipline in how she approached whatever she did and she showed me to love learning.  If you never knew Aunt Gladys you missed something special.  Every year she would study a topic like Oklahoma History, botany, horticulture, algebra and higher mathematics, The Bible and many more subjects.  She knew more about everything than anyone I have ever met.  When she retired she never stopped picking a subject every year to study, yes-for a year.  She did not watch TV and she thought calculators and computers were handicapping children from learning.  I know in today's wisdom that seems impossible but how many children today know how to dig in and find things without the internet?  How many know their multiplication tables?  What percentage know the constitution and what it cost to protect?  She felt that somewhere along the way teaching took a wrong turn from knowing history and pride in our country and basics to something with the wrong values.  Most of all she encouraged me to work hard and be disciplined.  She taught by example.

myself, Uncle Bill Heath and Uncle Harley Patterson
Aunt Peggy Heath taught me to laugh at myself and not get too serious and to play games with family and friends.  She made great cinnamon rolls too.  Uncle Bill Heath taught me through example to enjoy learning and that I could work in computers like he did.  I held him in great regard because he worked on computers back when there were massive computers in large air conditioned rooms that today literally fit in the palm of your hand.  Do I need to point out that the computers shrunk not that the hand got bigger?  Now there is some irony in that comment relative to folks today having a hand out expecting something from those who earned it.

What do you learn in the Osage?

  • discipline is critical to success in anything
  • anything, you can do anything if you put your mind to it
  • have fun or change what you are doing
  • Strive to inspire greatness in others by doing your best
  • the best way to a great life is over GRAVEL ROADS
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com


No comments: