Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Subtle Encouragements go a long way - Gladys Snyder

I don't know about you but Gladys Snyder made a difference in a lot of lives one of which was mine.  She was just a school teacher.  NO, she was a great mentor and she demanded the best from all of us.

I bet that if you look back over your life it was small encouragements at the right time that made a huge difference in your life.  You see when there is a small encouragement to someone the further they move from that moment the greater the impact of that encouragement.  Does that make since?  Let me illustrate:
The second lady from the right is - Gladys Snyder

Aunt Gladys, Happy Butt (remember the story), Mrs. Snyder or whatever else you called her gave me a few of those small encouragements that made a big difference.  You see when she was teaching algebra and in particular that new algebra that everyone complained about (do you remember complaining or your parents complaining).  She was teaching the 8th graders in Shidler and I was still only in the 5th grade.  But something interesting happened, she knew that I had a tendency to enjoy math and puzzles so she would give me copies of her test that were going to the 8th graders.  She told me that I was doing problems they could not do.  I don't know if she was telling the truth but it made me think I COULD.  Do you remember the Little Red Engine that SAID I COULD.

I was extremely encouraged and wanted to do more.  I asked for more and she gave me more.  Then she would give me a puzzle and she would help me figure it out or ENCOURAGE me to work harder on it.  Then she would compliment me on my effort even if I was totally wrong.  Does anyone remember when she would give you partial credit for your efforts on a test problem?  Were you encouraged?  Did that not encourage you that you were on the right track?  Have you considered what a little encouragement from you could do for someone?

Today I want to encourage you to thank a teacher, a mentor, or someone who made a difference in your life.

I can name a lot of them:
  • My Mom
  • My Dad
  • Aunt Gladys
  • Mrs. Shumate
  • Aunt Peggy and Uncle Bill Heath
  • Mr. Fulsom
  • Mrs. Head
  • Mrs. Himbury
  • Coach Cotham
  • Mr. Gilstrap
  • John Murphy (another story, well all of these folks are another story)
  • the list goes on and on and I want to honor them.
What did I learn from the Osage?
It seems most everything.

Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: