Saturday, January 27, 2024

Why run a marathon?

 When I was in high school, I really never gave a thought to running a marathon, but I did make some attempt in track while at good old Shidler High School.  

The first strange thing I did in track that made a lasting impression on me and my life was on the way home from a track meet in Newkirk.  I was in the 9th grade, freshman, and I had a lot of friends in the Osage who chewed tobacco (tobacca) including my Uncle Don Lane, mom's brother.  In fact, a lot of school buddies dipped Skoal or Garrett's Sweet Snuff or the old hard chew where you bit it off of a square chunk of tobacco.  Back to the bus ride.  I decided I would give my first and LAST attempt at chewing Red Man.  By the time I got back to Shidler I was throwing up my guts and the other end was not a whole lot better.  After that I never had a desire to partake in having a small amount between tongue and cheek.

As a side note I have to tell you about Uncle Don, who never could be seen without a big wad in the side of his mouth.  He could spit a huge amount all the time.  Anyway, my brother Larry got stung by a bee and Uncle Don had the remedy right there to stop the swelling which was started immediately.  He took that big wad out of his mouth and slapped it on the side of Larry's head behind his ear.  IT WORKED, although I would say it was gross and dripped down the side of his head.

Back to the topic.  Two times I made a great mistake and decided I could compete in running.  Again, at the track meet in Newkirk, Oklahoma, I entered the 640-yard race.  I don't think they ever have that race today.  I did get a bronze medal which was a huge surprise to me and probably everybody else except I don't think there were more than 3 in the race, but if there were, they had to be the slowest people in the area. 

My second running event was another day, and I was in the sophomore year of high school.  It was 12 miles from Shidler to Grainola and I decided I could make that run pretty easily as I was in great shape from basketball.  What I did not know is that running on blacktop with the wrong shoes could give you serious shin splits.  I did make it about 10 or 11 miles, and someone gave me a ride home.  The pain and memory of that has been a great reward.  I have never even considered running like that again.

Now one last running opportunity.  As an adult working downtown Oklahoma City there was a triathlon corporate event that I entered.  It was run a mile, and 100 pushups.  and swim 1/4 mile.  It was no problem with the running, and I never made it to pushups.  You see I was never a good swimmer and I hyperventilated, and 3 girls had to pull me out of the pool.  I could not even stand up and I laid on the side of the pool for a long time, embarrassing!

That is my running history.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • do a little research to know what you are getting into.
  • there is absolutely nothing good comes from tobacco except maybe losing some weight or fixing a bee sting.
  • all decisions have consequences, some good and some bad
  • the moral of the story is THINK and give some time before making some of those stupid decisions like a tattoo or nose ring that you might regret later.
Thanks for listening,
gary.olson@finaciti.com

 

No comments: