Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Does it pay to hurry?

 I don't know about you but I guess I got it from my dad, Cliff Olson, in that I am always in a hurry.  In fact when I was about 12 years old I was in such a hurry to get out the back door that I stuck my hand right through a glass window.  Basically is cut the left side of my little finger off so much that I could see the bone and of course mom, Opal Olson, gave me a ride to Dr. Cecil Snyder in Winfield, Kansas.  

Now just a side note:  Dr. Snyder was the same doc that delivered me, and dad and mom paid the bill with a side of beef.  It is also worth noting that Doc told mom and dad that I would never grow very much because of my allergies to milk.  Every time I went to the doc he and the nurses would talk about how much I had grown.  In case you have not read in my stories, by the time I was in the second grade I was taller than my teacher.  Even when Doc Snyder passed away his son, Johnny, became our family doctor.

OK, back to the finger.  As it turned out they had to do something I had never heard of, they grafted skin off my arm and put it on my finger.  Today you can see where they took the skin more than the scar on my finger.  Pretty good job I would say.

Along the same line of hurry, I remember dad wanted me to take the hay rake to him using the Ford tractor.  Being in a hurry, I assumed he was across the creek cutting hay and needed it right away.  Bad mistake!  After about an hour of fighting with getting the rake across the creek and through the trees and narrow road, dad was pretty frustrated with where was I.  Of course I was frustrated because he was not where I thought he was.  In fact he was about 100 yards from the house where I started.  Luckily dad was pretty good at laughing at my mistake.

All this to say that my ADHD got in the way of getting things done too many times.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • sometimes it is cheaper/less expensive to SLOW DOWN
  • be thankful for a dad who can laugh at your mistakes.
  • Stop, listen, ask questions and then execute.  
  • Slow down, aim first then fire.
Thanks for listening,
gary
gary.olson@finaciti.com

No comments: