Wednesday, December 29, 2021

2021 12 29 Larry-the nut does not fall too far from the tree

 In about 1958 Dad and Mom built a new house on Beaver Creek, one mile north and 3 west or 1 mile east of Vea and Eddy Harris.  I was 6 years old and big for my age (always was until folks caught up with me at about 13 or 14 years old).  Larry and Debbie were in the Grainola Grade School, and I was home helping dad build that house.  I should tell you that after we built the new house, which was about 2 feet from the old house, Mrs. Heath (postmaster) purchased the house and moved it to Grainola and the front porch was finished out to be the new post office.  Mrs. Heath (Jimmy's grandmother) lived in the house and worked in the new refurbished porch.  Anyway, I was in charge of doing anything dad needed, like getting nails or a board, just whatever.  I did not know it at the time, but dad was teaching me a set of skills that would last a lifetime.  I learned what a 16-penny nail and every variation of that plus the difference in hammers and crow bars or nail bars, different types of saws, etc.  But here is where Larry comes into the picture.

Larry and I had a room we shared in the new house on the Northwest corner with a giant elm tree right outside the window where we built a huge tree house (Larry and I built it, not dad).  Dad built a desk in 1958 for our room and if you look in the attached picture, lower left, you will see that same desk.  Larry has taken it to OSU, U of Nebraska where he received his masters and doctorate, U of Wisconsin where he did his thesis and then to Clemson University/Edisto by Barnwell, SC where he basically built a bull and cattle research operation 41 years ago.  That makes this desk 63 years old and still being used.  He has added a few more screws and nails to keep it working.  The drawers still work like a charm.  You might notice that his fishing tackle is extremely well organized.  Well, I have to tell you that when we were little, he was extremely well organized.  In fact, I would suggest that is why he was so successful at keeping records on cattle and working with a team of folks at Edisto to build a well-known bovine research facility.  I guess I am just proud of him and the life he has lived.  One of the funny and interesting things about Larry is he can tell you precisely how many bass he has caught each year going back to at least 1983.  This year he has 1029 bass, and he records each one and what they were caught on and what the weather was plus of course the location.  When I say location, I mean down to where at on the pond or lake.

Forgot one thing, Mom was an extremely well-organized person as well and very thrifty.  Therefore, Larry did not fall far from the tree.

So, what do you learn about Larry and the Osage?

  • If you build it right, it will last a lifetime
  • The value is not in the desk, but the memories made 
  • Organization can make you successful in a career and life and of course fishing
Thanks for listening,
gary
gary@mylifelegacy.co






No comments: