Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Dick and June Johnson - Dee and the Twins and little sis (Jan) (and I can't remember the names but there is an older son? and Marvin?)

There are cornerstones of a building and there are cornerstones of a community and the Johnsons are certainly one of those.  I stopped by not too long ago (BEFORE COVID) and Mrs. Johnson came out and we talked for a long time about the kids and what everyone was doing.  Mr. Johnson was on his tractor mowing.  Now I know they are in their 90's and still gardening and keeping the place in shape.  I wish everyone had the pride they do.  That is probably what keeps them going, staying active.  But what was most amazing is their minds were clear as a bell ringing in your ear.  They still live in the house cattycorner from the old Dale's Feed Seed and Grain Storage commonly known as the grocery store, not to be confused with the grain elevator operations further south by the railroad tracks.   The same store we traded eggs for groceries at and the one with the outhouse we turned over every Halloween.

I suppose we all lose track of old friends and neighbors but my memory of the Johnsons is anchored in Dee and the Twins and Marvin.  Why?  Well let me tell you why.  I think everyone in the family were extraordinarily smart and especially those twins and I hear Jan was too.  But what stands out is that I was at their house one time and the boys (Dee and the twins) were eating white bread with the old fashioned mustard spread all over it and made into a two sliced sandwich!  You gotta be kidding me!  Yea!  Who would have thought of that?  Something seemed really wrong with that.  But once you tried it, it was not so bad especially when you are young and growing and hungry.  

The other thing I remember is how they always knew all the answers no matter the topic.  I bet none of them ever missed a question on a test.  I never knew but I bet they had perfect scores on the ACT and SAT tests.  

It is funny but I really never knew what Mr. Johnson did for a living other than farming and I really don't remember them having any farm land although Dee stuck around and bought some land including our old homestead on Beaver Creek and farmed and raised cattle.  

Well, what I have to say about the Johnsons is that they were very kind hearted folks and easy to talk to and always willing to share a little bread and mustard.  People were important to them.

So, what do you learn in the Osage?

  • don't get grossed out about something you have not tried, like mustard sandwiches
  • hard work and good folks go together
  • Pride in keeping things looking good is good pride and the Johnsons should be proud
Thanks for listening,
gary
gary@mylifelegacy.co

No comments: