Monday, January 26, 2015

The preacher came by the other day

The preacher came to call the other day.  He said  at my age I should be thinking about the hereafter.  I told him "oh, I do all the time.  No matter where I am, in the barn, upstairs or in the garage -- I ask myself, "Now, what am I here after?".

Do you ever get down-in-the-mouth about yourself?  Thinking, "what is going on?",  "Am I getting Alzheimer's?",  "Why can't I remember?".

Well here is my answer.  My brain is a certain size, kind of like a table top.  Once it is full and you add something to it, something has to go.  There is only so much room.  I can get down-in-the-mouth if I choose but why waste time.  Like my dad use to say, "let's do something even if it is wrong". Let's get up and go somewhere and do something before we get caught in the squat.  I heard Zig Ziggler say  that and it stuck.  It is kind of like a biscuit that is getting ready to rise but gets caught in the squat.  I hope that makes sense to you.  What I am saying is if you don't keep moving you will get like a frozen motor and it won't turn over anymore.  Another way to say it is, like a house that sits empty.  Have you ever watched an old house rot away after it goes empty?  Why do you think that happens?  It happens because no one cares anymore.  It is not loved.

Not because I think you are stupid but because I think it is hard to put in practice that we all need to keep moving and keep caring for others so we don't focus on our own aches and pains.  If we do we will rot like the empty unloved house.  We will freeze up like the unused engine.  We will get caught in the squat always getting ready to do something but procrastinating why we cannot get going.

So with all that said, did you write down your goals for 2015?  Don't worry you are like 98% of the people.  The question is: Is that what your goal is?

In 2015 my goals are:

  • Grow my investment advisory business ( I would tell you more but I don't want to cross the regulatory body rules)
  • Share Christ with three people (it seems embarrassing that it is such a small number)
  • Sell our house and buy land for Wings (www.wingsok.org) while starting to build a new house for us
  • Be the best father and husband that God wants me to be
  • Not hesitate to do the right thing
Well I did it.  I told you my goals.  Now I challenge you to write yours down and I would love you to share them with me.

What do you learn in the Osage?
  • Inaction is an action
  • disbelief is belief
  • No goals are goals
  • Do something even if it is wrong!
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com


No comments: