Monday, January 19, 2015

Old Folks are worth a fortune

I can't tell you where this came from but only that I like it.

Old Folks are worth a Fortune:

Old folks are worth a fortune, with silver in their hair, gold in their teeth, stones in their kidneys, lead in their feet, and gas in their stomachs.

Now if you add all this up based on an average person's size each old person is worth several thousand dollars.  Now I know we all want to measure a man's worth by his net worth or in other words his or her assets, but that is just not the case.

About two weeks ago a friend (Kevin McAfee) had a stroke and until that day I bet he did just like I do and that is add up my assets and subtract my liabilities to find out a net worth.  But today I know for a fact he counts his assets like this:
  1. Do I know for certain if I were to die today I would go to heaven? YES
  2. I have a wife who is willing to take care of me when I cannot take care of myself. YES
  3. How many friends have called or tried to call or texted or mailed me just to know how I was doing? LOTS
  4. I can still communicate with my mouth, think with my brain, eat by myself but I cannot get up on my feet or much less walk and I cannot hardly get to the bathroom and on the toilet by myself.  I cannot get dressed by myself.  


The list of questions and answers go on and on.  How do you count your balance sheet?

The one thing I do know for certain is that God does not do this or any disaster of life or other disease to hurt us.  It just happens as a part of this world.  What I also know is He uses all the little things and big things that go good and bad in our lives to bring us to be more like Him.  In another way of saying it I learned from David Howell of Edmond, Look for the Fruit Hidden in Adversity.  All things work together for those who love the Lord.  I cannot explain it but as we say in the Osage, Shit Happens.  I guess I am not as eloquent as my friends.

I am as guilty as anyone in wanting to be financially successful with lots of friends and lots of assets and experiences.  But the one thing I have learned is that OLD FOLKS are worth a fortune.

So what do you learn in the Osage?
  • Everyone has a chance to succeed at something but it depends on what each of us chooses to do with our chances
  • Success is measured not by others but by the realization I did my best with what God gave me
  • In the end I will not have to worry will Christ know who I am because when He sees me I know He will recognize me by my faith.
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com







No comments: