Saturday, July 28, 2012

Another John Francis Murphy story

Allen DiVall shared a few stories on John Murphy:
By Allen -
I can remember John Francis Murphy back to when I was 6 yrs old.
He was a good friend of my grand dad Frank.  

He locked my grand dad's safe which no one had the combination to.  It remained locked for 20 years.

He would call my grand dad's business and ask to speak to Albert--which was the alligator my grand dad and Barb Rash's father got at the sugar bowl.

My grand dad's 2nd wife was Dr. Dozier's nurse.

He would meet people at his country club and pretend he  was the doctor who had performed surgery on them or pretend he was deaf.

There is a rumour that he once chained up the Grainola post office.  
  
Many years ago, he  stuck his finger into a gas tank and said " That ain't Ethyl".

I think a lot about JFM who had a stroke and is the only person I know other than myself who had a stroke.

Thanks to Allen DiVall for these stories and for validating that I was close to the truth.  John Murphy was and is iconic.  He helps make the Osage and we thank him for it.  If you have not heard my story about John go dig into my story "John Murphy and the pepsilyle".  It has nothing to do with drinking Pepsi.  Some other famous folks from the Shidler area to look up are Jack Hartmann ( a great basketball coach who made the hall of fame),  Louise Brooks (famous silent film star),  Ray Smith (one of the most decorated Marines in America) and of course Lance Howard (Ron Howard's dad)  and many more...

So I feel I always have to end any story with:
What I learned in the Osage?

  • Make good memories
  • Remember the good ones
  • forget the bad and live a great life
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com



1 comment:

Cal Easterling, Ph.D. said...

Allen DiVall and I would walk up to Julie Berman's drug store every day at lunch. He would pay me sometimes to keep guys from picking on him, since he was somewhat slight of build. He always let me read his Mad Magazines. I think his family ran a gas station in Shidler.