Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Flying Kites and Dads


One of my fond memories was dad getting a kite kit for 10 cents at Otasco in Shidler and then helping us three kids put it together.  We then made a tail out of string and material from old clothes.  After that we got one of our Zebco fishing poles and tied it on.  At first Dad then Larry and then Debbie got it flying until the string on the fishing real was at it's end.  I thought that was fantastic.  Dad then let me take hold of the real.  It  was exciting as it pulled on my small arms due to the wind pulling that kite.  I was amazed how powerful the wind was up high and how much pressure it generated.  It also reminded me of the Ben Franklin story when he flew a kit with a key attached to capture some of the electricity.  Of course after a while I lost the wind and it came tumbling down.  Of course that is when I discovered how difficult it could be to get the kite up and in the air again.  Dad would hold the kite up while I ran with the fishing pole and string to get it launched.

Dad was always busy but it absolutely amazed me when he took time to play and even then he knew so much about everything.  There just never seemed anything he did not know how to do or could not figure
out.   That brings me to tonight as I took Preston out to fly a kite.

First I would have to tell you that kite we took out today cost a lot more than that first kite plus the string and the string winding gizmo.  Second I have to tell you that Julian Codding (class of 70) actually bought the kite as a gift for Preston several years ago.  On occasion Preston and I go out to fly that kite and every time we think of our great friend and relative Julian.  Now I am going to divert right here and talk a little about Jullian.  He is a humble guy but he has a wonderful wife and three great boys.  They are one of the finest families you can meet and I attribute it to a GREAT DAD, JULIAN.  The sad thing is Julian and I like so many others lost contact for many years after leaving school.  It was always things like jobs, marriage, kids, sports, business and everything else you can imagine that kept us apart.  Luckily about seven years ago we found each other living in Edmond just a few miles apart, about 2 miles.  Now we don't see each other much but it is a joy to get together.  My last two comments about Jullian.  First he is a great writer and has written many stories over the years including poetry.  Second, he is dang smart but most of all he is a reliable friend from the Osage.

So what was all this about and what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Dad's are extremely important to raising a child up in the way he should go (sounds a little like the Bible)
  • Time is more important than quality of time to a child, think about it and make some changes if you need to
  • When you get old enough you will never wish you made more money but you will regret the lack of time you spent with your children
  • Don't forget your dad 
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: