Monday, April 23, 2012

When I was a little boy? Things have not changed much.


I don't know what got it started but it might have been Vea Harris and her Iris garden or my mom and dad who loved to garden or when we built our new house and they landscaped around the house.  

Whatever was the cause I am not sure but when I was about 8 years old I started saving my money so I could buy flower seeds to plant around the house.  Zenias were my favorite especially the old fashioned variety which had those huge flowers in all kinds of colors.  Marigolds were also a favorite as you could almost never have trouble growing them.  There is something special about growing things and I was particularly enamored with growing rhubarb so mom could make dad and me a pie.  I always wondered if anyone else caught the same disease as me but I have since found out that at least one person has and that is Paula Jones (class of 69 I believe) who actually writes a newsletter for her garden club down in Texas.  But of course everyone knows we grow everything better in the Osage.

Well here I am today and the only difference is that I spend more money planting and growing.  My wife, Shouna, enjoys the garden as well and quit frankly she spends more time in it than I do.  Have you ever heard, "the difference between the men and the boys is the price of their toys"?  Well I think that is true in this case.  

Well if any of you Shidlerites, Web Cityites, Grainolaites, Forakerites or Burbankites get a chance to come by I would love to show you our garden.  Give me a call or email and we will work out a time.

By the way has anyone figured out how to find Boug's pickles anywhere besides Atwoods?  I ran out and need more and in fact have worked with someone on putting them in their store in Edmond if I can get them.

So what did I learn in the Osage?
  • Find something you love and do it
  • Share what you love with others
  • Work is a great recipe for a bad attitude so get outside and do something

Thanks for listening,
gary@thepioneerman.com


No comments: