Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sam Greenhaw - Kaw City and my shoes

Now I don't know how many of you even knew Sam but he left Shidler before he graduated and ultimately moved to Edmond where he opened a shoe repair shop.  When we moved to Edmond about 15 years ago we had to locate all new service providers as we use to live in Yukon/Mustang area.  Growing up like we did you always needed a boot repair or shoe repair store and I stumbled upon Sam.  His shop was about a half mile south of 2nd street in Edmond on Boulevard in an old red house that was particularly attractive.

It was several years after we moved to Edmond and we were regulars at Sam's but one day Shouna (my wife) was in there doing something and she saw a person she thought she recognized, Frank Ball.  She had met Frank probably one time during a high school reunion but she knew she knew him.  That was the day we found out Sam was from Shidler.  Frank and Sam were old friends from the Webb City and Shidler area.  They grew up together although I believe Sam was a bit older than Frank.  I also found out that Frank knew how to repair shoes and had a temporary shoe repair store in Chandler.  The reason I say temporary is not because it was there for  a short period of time but because what I learned was that Frank had a full time job and only opened his shoe repair store when he felt like it or when it was convenient.  Over the next several years I stopped by that store to see my old buddy and NOT ONE single time did I find his store open.  That is why I say temporary.  If you know Frank you know what I know and that is Frank is about as nice a guy as you will ever find and that he was relaxed about the shoe business.  Well anyway back to Sam.

After that incident I found myself wanting to visit with Sam and connect about how great Shidler and the Osage was.  He and I carried a common enthusiasm for our home.  Quit frankly Sam enjoyed more talking about Shidler and Web City than he did fixing shoes.  He was a delightful person but passed away a few years ago after being ill on and off for about a year.  I never knew any of his family so when I started finding his store closed every day for a couple of months I was worried.  In fact people were writing notes and putting  notes on his door plus his mail box was full to overflowing.  One time I even called the police to go check on him just to find he was sick and someone was taking care of his mail and helping folks recover their shoes which were left to be repaired.

Sam did not keep good records as he had boxes of shoes and you either had to know which ones were yours or he just knew which ones were yours.  Sadly enough one day I found a note saying Sam had passed and the store was being closed.  The note invited you to come by at certain times and pick up your shoes.

If you know anymore about Sam please drop me a note as I enjoyed visiting with him and becoming friends.  He died in about 2010.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Even when you have moved you took your love and passion with you
  • There is a sense of pride folks carry around when you are from the Osage
  •  Count your blessings and if you are from the Osage your glass is half full not half empty
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com


2 comments:

Russell-Karen Whiles said...

Gary, Dr. Larry Greenhaw is our eye doctor at Lenscrafters, in Quail Springs Mall, if you go looking for others in the Greenhaw family.

Cal Easterling, Ph.D. said...

Russell, I'm thinking that Sam's brother Richard was in our class.
--Calvin Easterling (Cal Stock)