Saturday, February 18, 2012

Gene and Connie --- two of the best


You can't get much better than these folks.  They have come back to the Shidler reunions every year since statehood (they might not be that old).  Now what you don't know is that they are my relatives.  They have tried to hide that for years but we always liked them.  Connie always laughing (if you knew Connie you would always know her laugh) and Gene had to be one of the strongest supporters of athletics in Shidler and especially at the summer baseball.  I think every single night at the Phillips ballpark you could find these two.  I don't know how they did it but they were always there and just plain fun to be around.  I can't tell you how many times we went to their house or were together at Aunt Pearl's and then there was Uncle Hugh and the list goes on.  In fact I have to tell you that it was Uncle Hugh who gave me that nickname which I shall not share.  If you just have to know then you can call Susie Snyder-Taylor or my sister or Hugh Allen Jones.  Those are the only folks that I did not beat up for calling me by my nickname, just kidding.

Phillips Ballpark

Now I will have to tell you about their kids Stephanie who was as pretty a girl ever ( a cheerleader and basketball player) and their son was just a chip off the old Rock, maybe that is why they call him Rocky.   Rocky was a great baseball player and became one of those hated guys in stripes, an umpire or referee.   And then there was another chip off of the Rock  named Stony.  You probably did not know but their grandkids are named Pebble and Sandstone.  That last part was a joke so get over it.
Phillips Park by the lake  
I just had to add this photo because there were so many parties where Gene and Connie were at this park and out by the water falls.  Those were great times.  How many of you went to a party (not a drinking party) for the ball teams or the cub scouts or your church or family reunion at this park?
Ok, back to Gene and Connie.  Now I may not be the brightest bulb in the socket but I was always intrigued by folks who could just come up with good ideas and Gene had one that always stuck in my mind. Now it is going to seem a little simple to you but as a kid I thought it was really cool and I always wanted one after I saw theirs.  You see Gene took one of those spools that cable comes on which was about 3 foot tall laying on its side and he made a picnic table out of it.  I just thought that was the coolest and when we would go over there I always wanted to eat on that table.  The other thing I always liked was Connie's cooking but I never could figure out why Rocky was skinny and there was all that good eat'n around.

Summer baseball and sports in general in Shidler was never complete without Gene and Connie.  Great folks from the Osage.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Character - people had good character and you learned by watching
  • How to laugh at your self and enjoy life like Connie
  • Friends and family make a life
We love ya'll!
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com




No comments: