Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Why can't you take a turkey to church?

 They use fowl language.  Get it?  Fowl not foul.

We all know some turkeys in our life and in fact at some point I suppose I have been one of those turkeys.  In fact, I can remember a few times when I stuck my size 13 foot in my mouth and wished to this day, I could take it back.  In fact, I grew up with a poem that is about the biggest lie ever told:

    Sticks and stones 

    will break my bones

    but words will never hurt me.

A couple of lessons on this one.  First, I have always been able to get over a hurt foot or arm or a physical ailment, but those words can stick with a person for a lifetime, good and bad.

As I have mentioned before, Aunt Gladys Snyder, dropped a few words on me that changed my trajectory in life.  Aunt Gladys made me think I was smart (that was lucky since I am not as smart as she thought).  Jack Gilbreth, my first football coach, gave just a few words of encouragement that helped me overcome my insecurity about my size.  I was always way too big for my age until about the 9th grade when a few folks caught up and even surpassed me like.  Mrs. Head (of Head Country fame and high school English teach fame) made a point how nice I dressed, and it made me think twice about how I looked each day.  David Goldenberg made the comment while working at EDS/Ross Perot's old company that I was a fast thinker.  it just made me feel good about myself (that is called a blessing).

But second, what about those discouraging remarks by someone?  Don't those hurt?  Don't they last?  Sure do!  I don't even like to give them the time of day.  Bitterness and resentment, in my mind, can kill a person.  At least it can make it where you/me just does not want to be around them.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Words can hurt, be careful, thoughtful and caring
  • A few kind words can make a person not have to get a nose ring (do I need to explain?)
  • Give a lift up in life, not a lift out (give someone an encouraging word every day of your life and you will be more encouraged than you can ever dream)
Thanks for listening,
gary.olson@FINACITI.COM

No comments: