Monday, January 17, 2022

A Brother worth having, Dr. Larry Olson


 

Larry Olson

We were raised on Beaver Creek 1 mile north and 3 west of Grainola, OK.  On a few hundred acres plus leased ground of a few sections.  He was the oldest and I think he was perfect in every way.  As a younger brother by 3.5 years he was my teacher and boss when Dad was not around.  We were always work aholics (is that a word) in work and play.  If we were not working with the cattle, hogs or chickens we were fishing and hunting up and down Beaver creek and I should say for hours and hours at a time.  Mom never worried about us as she knew we would come back if we got hungry. 

We raised registered Herefords and commercial cross cattle and what seemed like thousands of hogs.  It was not.  We also raised row crops like maize and corn plus alfalfa and wheat.  Every year we raised and showed cattle and hogs for the Osage county livestock show.  I would say the highlight was when Larry won the grand champion steer and I won the reserve grand champion steer.  Of course, Larry was an excellent livestock judger and until he graduated high school and started judging at OSU, he was the best, but he taught me to be the best after he left.  One year while on the OSU livestock judging team, he was also one of the judges who took judging the orals at livestock shows.  He gave me the worst score I ever received only to find out it was the best score he gave.  I was mad as hell at him until I found out.  I won the judging contest.  He was a great teacher.

Larry was always the best and most organized and it showed when he was at the highest level in Boy Scouts, 4-H, baseball where he pitched a perfect game, hunting where he was the best and fastest shot in quail hunting and red squirrel hunting. Raising cattle, hauling and bailing hay, driving a tractor, giving speeches at the state speech contests, in his studies valedictorian and at OSU the Presidents honor roll, he even ironed his own shirts.  He was like a nut that does not fall far from the tree, he was just like mom in perfection and like Dad in working hard and long every day.  He was always a leader in 4-H, the Methodist Youth Fellowship, and Oklahoma Hereford Association where he was President at one time. 

Larry was amazing with all the nieces and nephews and my daughter Wynter was the first one.  He would do anything she asked including having a fake tea party or watching the Smurfs.  He was the same with every child in the family and in particular Ryan Crow who wrote the following and I read this to him not 10 minutes before he passed:

 

Uncle Larry,

You will never know how special you were to me. You're the reason I know how to fish and why I love it so much. You taught me everything I know. I remember the day you showed me how to put the pink bubble gum fluke on my hook. I caught a pretty big bass shortly after that. I also remember the day we were on the boat on Richard's pond and I accidentally hooked a bob wire fence that was in the water. I felt so bad but you helped me out of it. I can't tell you how many times I hooked trees, fences, or grass and you always talked me through it and got it out and I never lost the bait. You mean so much to me and always will. I can't wait to fish with you in heaven and catch the biggest fish we've ever caught. I love you Uncle Larry and always will. Thanks for everything you've taught me.

I guess I should mention a couple things he was not perfect in, at least in my mind.  Once when he was about 12, we were supposed to burn off some dead brush piles.  Well, we poured about a gallon of gas on the pile then Larry bent down on his knees with a match and it exploded.  It burnt his eye brows and the hair on the front and sides of his face.  Luckily his skin was ok.  Another area where he was not perfect was when he ran over me with the truck.  Basically he pinned me between the barn and the truck and I still have a crease in my leg to prove it.  It was the only time I ever saw him cry as he thought he had killed me.

Here is Larry‘s (Dr. Olson)  fishing lunch menu:  beanie weenies, Famous Amos cookies, Cheez-its and there might be some Baby Ruth’s.  Those are his standard meal while fishing. 

Thanks for listening,

A Life Well Lived, Dr. Larry W. Olson,

By Gary Olson (brother)

 

 

No comments: