Monday, May 31, 2021

Out house or in house - save money and save the environment

 I was just sitting here thinking about how to save a few bucks and remembered when many folks had out-houses.  It seems to me that we could lower green houses gases and save the earth if we went back to out-houses.  You see if we stopped flushing those toilets so many times each day and stopped using the sewage system in the big cities we would save water and electricity and time.  Plus if we stopped using toilet paper and started using old catalogue's (it use to be the Sear's and Roebuck) or newspapers and junk mail we could save a lot of energy.  And don't forget all those fans we have in the bathrooms which we would not need.  In fact if we stopped having all those light fixtures which cost a lot to make and just had a single light bulb, even an inefficient one, hanging from the ceiling we would save a lot of electricity.  Let's don't forget the toilet which you have to flush multiple times now because the government wanted more efficient toilets, NOT!

Now this brings me to a few more money saving tips.  You know all those LED bulbs the government makes us buy which are supposed to last 7 to 25 years and in real life last only one or two years if you are lucky,  if we count all the manufacturing cost plus the land fill costs they probably don't save us a dime.  Now don't get me wrong, I kind of like the LED bulbs but I am tired of replacing bulbs that do not meet the 7 year warranty.  And besides, who has the time and energy to save the sales receipts for those bulbs and then spend the time and money chasing getting the warranty coverage.  

Now this brings me to another money saving thought.  I just read that each time that battery driven vehicle needs charged it actually costs around $12.  No one seems to be talking about that aspect plus what about wear and tare on the roads and the fact no taxes are recovered to pay for their share of the road repair.  One big problem I see is what happens if we have a giant infrastructure shut down due to ice and cold.  I guess that could never happen, ha ha.  Visualize this, all cars and trucks and cell phones and computers and houses are shut down because there is no electricity.  I was just talking to my brother in law who works on wind turbines and he was telling me how they were damaged and shut down due to the ice and snow.  So I have one question, wouldn't it be better to have a hybrid vehicle like the Prius which generates electricity and runs on gas making over 50 miles to a gallon?  I am just a country boy but that makes a lot of common sense to me.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • One man's trash is another man's treasure - think about it
  • Common sense goes a long way
  • Finally, I figured out what to do with all that junk mail.  Does anyone need a wipe?
Thanks for listening,
gary
gary@mylifelegacy.co

 

No comments: