Saturday, September 12, 2020

Corona or Corona or Covid

Growing up I never heard of Corona or Covid, just Falstaff, Coors, Stag (bet not many know this one), and the flu.  I never was much of a drinker in high school or college and when I did it was not a successful adventure.  I remember in the 8th grade David Howell figured out how to make beer and whiskey in his club house.  David was about as smart as they come.  His curiosity was empowering in that he studied and then took action.  He built his own club house which as I recall was about 12 feet by 12 feet and filled with his projects.  I don't know how anyone would ever dislike David as he was always friendly and helpful.  He carried around Life Savers and gave them to everyone who would take one but of course he kept the cherry ones for himself.  

David could fix or build anything including a still, a house and a contraption to stimulate a heart which he removed from a dog.  I guess that is kind of gross.  He could fix any lawn mower or engine of any kind and he would mow your lawn for a few bucks or just fix about anything that needed a little repairs.  Aunt Gladys Snyder, teach of math and science, really liked David and he was loyal to her.  I think David got special treatment from her since his mother had passed away when he was young.  

At the beginning of each year David would take his books from school and read them and put them away for the rest of the year.  He could still pass about any test and he read all the time.  I bet you that if David was here still he would figure out how to make Corona and treat for Covid.  

Speaking about David reminds me of a story about a man who was very successful and wealthy.  The business person was traveling on vacation and found this man fishing on the beach.  He noticed that the man was a successful fisherman and cooked his fish right there on the beach.  The business man was inspired so he approached the fisherman and suggested that since he was so good at fishing and cooking the fish that the fisherman could be very successful if he purchased a boat and caught more fish and started a restaurant where he could sell his fish and then he could start a chain of fish restaurants and become wealthy and successful.  The fisherman asked the businessman why?  The businessman said so that you can do whatever you want whenever you want.  The fisherman said, why should I do all that because I am doing what I want now, when I want and how I want.  The fisherman asked the businessman why he was working so hard so that he could someday do what the fisherman did every day.

I know some folks look at David and his idiosyncrasies and wonder if David could solve all of todays problems but you know I think David was like the fisherman.  David was doing what he wanted, when he wanted, and how he wanted.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • sometimes we work too hard to get somewhere when we were already there before we started
  • if we look hard enough we will find all the riches in life right in front of us
  • maybe the real life saver was David himself
Thanks for listening,

gary

gary@thepioneerman.com

 


 

No comments: