Friday, March 29, 2019

Those two cedar trees

Growing up on Beaver Creek in the Osage (1 mile north and 3 west past Vea's house) our house had two giant cedar trees in front of the house about 30 feet apart.  I remember during one of those HOT summers Wayne Patterson (my cousin and mom's sister's oldest child and a veteran) and dad and Larry tied a rope between those two trees and put a giant military looking tarp over the rope then tied the sides down to make a tent.  That is right, no floor and no protection from the two ends being open and all the bugs that wanted to come in.  As I recall there were a few cots but mostly just bedding on the ground to sleep on.  One of the great things about being the youngest and the most naive is that I did not realize the potential for bugs and snakes and anything else that might wonder into our tent.  All I can remember is that it was an adventure with Dad, Larry, Big Wayne (we called him Big Wayne because Larry's middle name was Wayne) and I believe Billy Snyder (another cousin and he was the son of Gladys Snyder, mom's sister). 

What was really important about that adventure was not the tent, not the lack of a floor or protection from wildlife and bugs but being together as family and we were friends as well. 

Well what else was important about those cedar trees:  For one, that is where I got a little shade from the sun and heat and took a nap on rare occasion.  Second, it was where my  dad, Clifford Olson, set up a device he created so that I could learn to ride my bike when he was not around to help me.  They way it worked is that he nailed a few boards to the tree so that I could place the back tire of my bicycle between the tree and the boards allowing me to get on the bike without falling.  Then I would take off peddling my bike with the hopes I could stay balanced and ride.  FREEDOM!  Yes, I learned to ride the bike and of course ultimately I had to learn to get on the bike without falling.  It was truly a great invention.

Dad was an engineer without match.  He could always figure things out, just amazing.

Well, that is my story and I am sticking to it.

so what do you learn in the Osage?

  • It is all about the good memories and not the hardships
  • A little ingenuity can go a long way in helping a kid enjoy life
  • God gave us trees for a lot of reasons and we need to make the best of it
Thanks for listening,
gary
golson21@hotmail.com

Please go buy my book!!!!!!!!  It is on Amazon, Home on The Range by gary olson and ALL proceeds go to Wings, www.wingsok.org













No comments: