Thursday, November 15, 2018

I thought getting older would take longer than it did

Do you remember thinking 21 was over the hill?  I use to give Larry, Janie, Sally, Billy and Susie and Debbie a lot of crap about being over the hill or going over the hill.  I guess that is one of the pleasures of being the youngest and it is pay back time for all the crap they gave me.  Well, I passed 21 about 45 years ago this December and I never thought I would get old this fast.  How about you?

If you think I was the first one to think this up, check out Psalm 39:4-7 where it says we are to number our days …..that we may gain a heart of wisdom.  Now if you don't think you are getting older and you have decided you are now going to do all those things you wanted to do when you wanted to do them check these stories out.

 A friend of mine retired and he was kind of a big deal in a lot of ways (big deal meaning he was very successful) and he was going to do what he wanted when he wanted and how he wanted.  Well, one of the things that changes is that your spouse has more access to your time.  He was told he needed to find some sprinkles and not just any type, style or color.  Do you get it?  Honey-do list!

My story is tonight I was going to a bible study and my wife, Shouna, called and she needed something done asap.  Yep, I changed my plans.  Well, as it turned out she did it and I was off the hook.

Actually I am really enjoying slowing down and focusing on things I really enjoy and hopefully less stressful.  I am doing more of the things I enjoy like mentoring a few folks, helping folks create a budget, showing folks how to save money and one surprise for me is that I have helped several folks shop for a financial advisor.  It is really fun when I help folks save money, reduce car payments, shop for cheaper life, home and auto insurance and not having anything to sell as I don't even want to.  If you want someone independent from the decision meaning they don't get a commission for making a certain decision, call me and I will help.  I might charge you a fee but you are guaranteed to save more than I charge you, else it is free.

Have you noticed as you get older that faster your bones hurt and more friends are dying on you than you care to think?  Have you noticed that many friends are writing books and trying to document their life stories?  In fact Julian Codding is encouraging me to make a book of my blog.  I am thinking about it.  If anyone remembers or knows Joe Heath from Ponca, he wrote a book about his travels to Alaska with some friends (go look on Amazon) or Brian Phillips of Ponca wrote a book of essays (on Amazon) and then there is Harvey Payne's book of pictures of the Osage (Amazon).  Everyone is writing something.  I bought all three of these and in fact a few extras for Christmas presents (Don't tell Larry or Debbie).

What does all this say?
or
What do you learn in the Osage?
  • write your story, if for no other reason than for your kids
  • everyday you are writing your story / Legacy to your family in memories so don't blow it
  • A life worth living is a life worth passing on, if you want to pass on your values and principals to future and current family, write it down.
Thanks for listening,
gary
gary@thepioneerman.com

1 comment:

Maureen Santini said...

Everyone should consider writing their life story for posterity. My website is devoted to showing people a simple way to write their stories. Read more at https://passdownyourstory.com

Maureen Santini