Monday, February 26, 2018

My get up and go has gone up and went

It may not be a perfect quote but Janie Shumate performed a skit at the Osage county talent show and I honestly thought it was the most memorable skit ever.  Even more than the "Long tall Texan" skit which I was the front half of the horse and we were funny.  Does anyone remember that song, "A Long Tall Texas"?  Anyway, I will never forget that, but of course I have forgotten some of the details.  But here is the point, I am now 65 years young and most of my closest friends are just ahead or just behind and we find ourselves talking about how the world keeps moving and we seem to be slowing down.  Basically "My get up and go has gone up and slowed down".  Or,  has things just gotten faster and more demanding?  What changed?

Now we talk about who died, what hurts, what parents are doing or ailing from and where they should be living, when should I start taking social security and how I get the best deal on Medicare supplement policies (call Linda at my office if you need help, I love my policies), what kind of toys we want (like lake houses or retirement homes in Arizona or fishing boats), how much time we can spend with grandchildren (a wonderful blessing), how the new electronics work (iphone or android and especially our Alexa from Amazon), and food.

Now I have to admit I am not a foodie but Larry Travis makes the best Gumbo I ever tasted.  Larry is a foodie and I might as well mention Greg Jehlik and Jim Wicker are foodies as well.  For a small fee I will get that recipe for you but don't tell Larry I made money on his recipe.  Shari Cook makes a great corn bread and now Shouna makes it as well.  You have never tasted scallops until Greg Jehlik cooks them up for you.  I guess from all this you see why I have to cut back on food.  Speaking of weight gain, I don't know what happened because when I left high school I was full grown and weighed 205 pounds.  I know that is right because Coach Cotham put that in the football program and he would not tell a lie.  But today, well a few months ago, I was up to 270.  Now I am down to 250, Praise the Lord.

If you have not tried it, do what I did and lose 20 pounds.  My knees and hips don't hurt hardly ever and I feel 100% better and I get more done and have to sleep less.  Why did it take me so many years to figure out losing 20 pounds would make such a difference?  My pants even fit better, who would have guessed?

Well, I better get, I hear the garage door coming up and that means Shouna is home and I better get to work.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Your get up and go does not have to get up and be gone as soon as you think
  • Focus on living and not on dying, lose some weight and feel better
  • If you want to live a long life, don't speak evil, especially about other folks
Thanks for listening,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: