Monday, March 7, 2016

Let's do something even if it is wrong!

I think "Let's do something even if it is wrong" was one of my Dad's favorite sayings.  He especially used it when he saw me sitting too long as defined by his patience.  Or I should say, his lack of patience.  Luckily Dad never prayed for patience and I am positive this is true because he never had any for himself or anyone else.  He never understood why something was being done if there was time for TV or as he called it "horsing around" which means doing nothing profitable in his eyes. 

I am glad he was that way as it taught me the value and enjoyment in getting things done.  In fact I cannot see how anyone can have a good self image when things just never get done.  Dad was one of those old timers who believed that any weed around the barns tool sheds or even the junk pile needed to be gotten rid of.  Maybe I should explain what a junk pile really was in those days.  It was NOT a place for trash but a place for parts and old steel and used wire, particularly barbed wire.  These were things that were useful when you lived 45 to 55 miles from a farm store where you could get parts plus it was cheaper and saved time when you could go to the junk yard and get a part.  In those days you really could fix things with a little wire and hard work.  back to doing something even if it is wrong. 

Dad has a wonderful disposition in that he could say something and laugh or smile like a possum eating s___.  That is another of Dad's favorite sayings.  Anyway, he was an ornery person and just getting me or someone off their butt and doing something productive was fun for him.  He could invent work.  If there was nothing else to do we would sweep dirt in the barns with dirt floors just so they would look neat.  We had a mile long drive way and we would weed-eat both sides of the road up to Eddie's house (remember Eddy Harris, my cousin).  Now do not get confused on this by assuming we used a gas powered weed-eater.  OH NO, we used what was called an idiot stick which had a one foot long blade that was horizontal to the ground with sharp side on the front and back so that when you swung it forward you were cutting weeds and when you were swinging backwards you were cutting weeds.  I should also correct your thinking in that it was not just weeds but anything that grew including grass that did not look NEAT. 

What did I learn in the Osage?
  • Neatness was a good virtue
  • Hard work was good for the soul
  • Doing something was good for my self image
  • Spending time with Dad was more valuable than whatever we were doing

Those are sweet and sweat days, get it, but I sure loved being with my Dad and doing something EVEN IF IT WAS WRONG. 

Thanks for listening,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: