Thursday, July 10, 2014

Off color but some things just never leave your memory

Remember the good old days when you could climb aboard the water tower at Shidler and sign your name or name your class and then there was some graffiti on the bridge where you would sign your name?  Well I was going around New York City the other day and some of these folks who do graffiti are really great artist!  In fact if they would take their talents and paint they would be a lot better off and probably would make some money.  But now I am going share with you some good old graffiti that I observed while growing up.

At the annual Osage County livestock show each March I would stay in the dorm above the livestock arena and it seemed that there was a lot of wisdom on the walls of the shower/bathrooms.  In particular I remember at the urinal:  Look Up, look up (until you were looking at the ceiling) and then it said, "look down you are peeing on your shoe".  I thought that was pretty good and still do.  Then there was the one in the toilet on the door, "please flush after use, Pawhuska needs drinking water".  How can you forget these tidbits of history and wisdom?

Then there is the oral graffiti which I contribute to Smitty's son (Grainola) who was in the third grade or maybe it was the first.  He first shared this on the school bus but later Mrs. Shumate shared it with me as he told it in class.  It was a poem, here goes and I warned you.
My name is Link
My shit stinks
My balls hang down 
Like log chain links
Now I know I should not have shared this tidbit but it still makes me laugh today. So if you are too offended then suck it up.  

Now you might not believe it but I am a conservative born again Christian that believes in the Resurrection of Christ and salvation through grace in spite of this story.  Growing up I had a lot of hangups about folks that took themselves too seriously and thought every person that took a drink or cursed a little did not love God.  But as I grew up what I realized is that all of us make mistakes and only the grace of God is important.  Not all that trivial stuff like not dancing, saying a bad word here or there or having a beer or the guy or girl that makes a mistake about sex or some other thing is important but ONLY your relationship with Christ makes a difference.  If any of this offends you or if you have a difference of opinion I make only ONE suggestion, read the Bible.  Don't take my word for it or any one's opinion because that does not matter.  It took me until I was 20 years old to really read the Bible and make a conscience decision about such matters.  I suggest you go for it.

How about you sharing some of those old graffiti's with me?

So what do you learn in the Osage?
  • don't get your underwear in a wad 
  • If someone tells you their opinion, check the facts before you take sides
  • This is really going to surprise you, some democrats are right about some things and some republicans are right about some things and they are both wrong a lot of times.
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com



No comments: