Thursday, May 22, 2014

Kids and Dads

I guess every kid goes through a time when they want to be "just like Dad" and then they go through a period when they do not.  For me Dad was something more than cool, he was my example.  When I was very young I just wanted to be able to take as big of steps as he did and stay up with him as he moved so fast.  As I got older I wanted to be liked by everyone just like Dad.  He never seemed to have any enemies although I do remember a few times he sure got POed (Put Out for some and something else for the rest of us).  The only times I remember him being angry with someone was when he had helped a person out and they did not say "thank you".  He just never got over those kind of things.  The other funny thing is when he got mad it was at things, like machinery or a tractor or a hammer or a cow or bull but he never seemed to get angry with me or any particular person.  Now he would get disappointed with a bad behavior like the time I got in big trouble with the law (read back through the old stories and you will know what I am talking about).  Well anyway what I wanted to say about Dad was that he was a great example not by what he said but how he lived.

Every day of every week I believe he woke up with a list of things to do and a passion to get them done.  He could get ready to go to work faster than about anyone right up until the day before he went into the hospital at 87 which was the beginning of the end of a great life.  Now I could speculate that the reason he got up and out so fast was that he wanted to get his list done because Mom was one of the best at making a list of things to get done as well and if he hung around he would be working on her list rather than his, but who knows?  He did not ask for help from us kids, he assumed it as fact.  If I was not out of bed quickly in the morning I could be assured that in the spring a new baby cat or a few new puppies were going to wind up in my bed with me.  If there was nothing alive then he would bring me some ice and put it on me, then he would laugh and walk away.  He was my mentor.

Well that brings me to what drove me to write this story about my Dad's legacy.  His grandson, Richard Crow (Debbie's son), is about 90% like him.  Richard who lives in Perry, Oklahoma and has built GroundZero Storm Shelters to be the largest tornado shelter company in America is so much like him it blows my mind.  Richard gets up every morning around 4:30 and by about 10 or 11 he has done more work than most will get done in a day, just like Dad.  I would also want you to know he can be found loving his family and still working late into most evenings.  One big difference from dad is Richard is bigger by about 30 to 50 pounds but about the same height.  If I were in a fight I would have wanted Dad at my back although Richard would be a great backup.  Richard would also sweep dirt just to make it look neat and clean, just like Dad.  Now that I think about it Richard's brother Clifford is a great worker and just like Dad as well.  He is a fireman in Kingfisher and he wants everything to be done right, fast and now.  And another thought about Dad's legacy.  Chase, my oldest son, is a fireman in Edmond and in fact his picture is on the front of the Metro section of the Daily Oklahoman today 5/15/14, is also just like Dad in many ways.  He can figure things out like an engineer and fix about anything, just like Dad.  He works diligently everyday and purposes to get things done and quickly, just like Dad.

So what do we learn in the Osage?

  • watch what you do because someone will repeat it and that will be your legacy, protect it
  • your actions really do speak louder than words
  • love can be seen by those you duplicate, think about it
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: