Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What gets you up in the mornnng?

Nowadays, which is really slang for "these days" I use my cell phone for an alarm and generally I get up before it goes off.  When I was growing up I think kids like to sleep a lot but folks like Cliff and Opal Olson did not think that was a good idea to sleep late or sleep in.  Perhaps we should discuss what the definition of "sleep in" means.  Well in the 'good old days' it meant if the sun was up you were definitely sleeping in.  If it was daylight outside and the sun was not up you might be sleeping in but overall if it was even beginning to lighten up outside, YOU WERE LATE.

If you were in bed and Dad was looking for you he better not find you in the bed.  He had a couple of thinks he enjoyed doing if he found you there:  The first one was taking ice and putting it on your belly and holding it there as you screamed.  I guarantee I was not strong enough to stop him.  Second he liked to take the baby puppies or kittens and throw them under the cover with you and particularly he liked to put them on your bare chest.  I never slept with a shirt on growing up.  On that subject for a few seconds, on occasion mom would purchase a set of pajamas for me but I really never liked them.  I don't know what motivated her but basically I always liked to sleep in my shorts.  Boxers or briefs you ask?  Guess?  Anyway if dad was in a hurry there was no mercy and he would just yank the covers off the bed and tell you to get outside and help.

Mom's methods were a little easier but if you wanted to eat breakfast you had to get your chores done and you had to be dressed else you did not eat.  She also had a few rules about what you ate.  If you did not like it and would not eat it she would save it and serve it again until you were hungry enough to eat what she put before you.  But the best part was and is that she was a great cook and she really did spoil us to a certain extent.  Luckily Mom and Dad did not like liver so we could use it for fish bait and never had to eat it.  We did try it but everyone agreed liver was for cat-fishing.  Hopefully everyone know what cat-fishing is and if you don't or there is a possibility you think it has something to do with cats then you should call me as soon as possible so you don't embarrass yourself.

Overall I would say it was not a problem then or even today for me to get up in the mornings.  I always wanted to get up and get going, there were things to do.  I am certain it was a genetic things as Larry and Debbie are just like me and Mom and Dad.  In fact I would say that Debbie has it the worst as she gets up early and works late.  She is the hardest worker you have ever seen.  She does suffer from a hard head and that has nothing to do with the thickness of her skull.  When she makes up her mind the party is over and you had better be out of her way.  She does not take time for anyone or anything when she is on point.  But let me tell you one thing about her.  Even when she is acting tough and hard headed if you just let her know you love her and she melts like butter.  She has the biggest heart you have ever seen.  I don't know of any person who will do more for you without expecting a return on her investment than my sister.  On yes, she will give me crap for telling you about her soft side but she is the best.

Just to brag on her a little bit.  When Debbie was in grade school and high school (we only had the two - that is no middle school or pre-school) she would go over to old folks homes and clean and cook for them.  If she thought you wanted some cookies or a cake she would mix up a batch before you knew it.  If I could be more like Debbie it would be a good thing.  She loves people and especially those who need a little help.

Back to getting up in the morning.  I try everyday to do a couple of things to get me started and I have been doing these for years to keep me on a straight path:

  •  I read something positive and many times that includes the Bible but I would have to say most of the time it is a good book built around principles of the Bible
    • 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth
    • The power of a praying husband
    • Beating Wall Street at its Own Game
    • No Easy Day
    • Finishing Well
    • Road Signs for Success by our own Jim Whitt
    • The Power of Influence
  • I pray for my friends and family every day at least once and most of the time more
  • I make a list and prioritize my day
  • I do take a shower and get dressed but I was hoping you would assume that and I do brush my teeth and you should at a minimum do all of these.
So what do you learn in the Osage?
  • Get a good start on the day and you will feel good about yourself and what you accomplished
  • If you get up a little earlier and do a little more than everyone else you will reap the dividends in life way above your friends and piers
  • Outreach the expectations of those in authority and you will surpass them 
  • God loves a cheerful giver and especially those who give to others in need and yes I am bragging, like my sister Debbie
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love hearing what your dad did if you weren't up early. What a great legacy you leave by starting your day right. Appreciate a hard working man like you Uncle Gary.
-CJ