Monday, December 17, 2012

Some folks just know how to take care of folks

It was the summer of 1975 right after I graduated from Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford, Oklahoma while I was working for EDS.  Now most of you don't even know what that is so let me update you.  There was a company founded by Ross Perot called Electronic Data Systems which basically founded the service bureau business in data processing.  Ross started with $2,000 and a lot of tenacity.  OK, back to the story.  I had been working for EDS about 2 months when I got one of those calls from home (MOM) saying that Dad was having surgery for what they thought was a tumor.  It was probably the first time I had experienced such a traumatic blow or at least it was the first one of this magnitude.  I think you could call it an earthquake of my soul.  All I could think about was what was going to happen to Dad.

I assume you are a lot like me in that the first thing you do is assume the worst and not assume that doctors know what they are doing or that all tumors are not fatal.  I was scared and it shook me up just having the thought that dad might not be around forever.

Well I was a rookie in a new job and very focused on my work but that next day when I got to the office I was not my usual self.  I remember wondering later how anyone knew something was bothering me but it seemed everyone noticed.   Charlie Vieth was my manager and Phil Sutphin was his and then there was a guy named Jerry Welch who was over him.  In that situation there were about 15 of us working in one big room with one office and Jerry got it so it was like working in a fish bowl in that everyone saw everything.  It was a fun environment to me in that everyone was about 10 to 20 years older than me and they were all military veterans that were focused on a mission called work.  Just as a side note and for a later date what we worked on was due diligence / proposals for large accounts around the world.  The most famous one was the Bank of Iran contract where we ultimately had two employees become prisoners of the new regime in Iran led by Iatola Kohamenia (I am sure I miss-spelled this but I tried to look it up on the web).  Ultimately there was a book and movie written about the ordeal.  Alright back to the story.  As I was sitting there working on the financial spreadsheets for the contract Charlie and Phil came up to me and asked, almost demanding, "what is going on?".  I told them nothing but they insisted   I shared that dad was having surgery this morning and I was concerned.  I have to tell you that even right now as I recall the situation I become teary eyed.  They told me to get out of there and go see my dad as he needed me more than they needed me.  They literally handed me my coat and everyone in the office rallied around me saying, "get out of here".  I called Shouna and told her we were going to Oklahoma to see dad.

By the time we got to the hospital in Oklahoma City there were flowers there and a card and I knew I had a great set of new friends who would do whatever it took when times got tough.  If this story does not resonate with you then let me share a few more and there are hundreds.

When I was in SE school at EDS (systems engineering) literally working 16 to 18 hours a day 7 days a week getting ready for some intense systems work Ross sent flowers with a thank you card to my wife for her sacrifice.  Ross use to go to the houses of all employees to thank spouses for their support and sacrifice but there got to be too many employees for that.  Ross understood that people were more important than work.  He understood that the TEAM of people were stronger than an individual.

I suppose you wonder how this relates to the Osage and quit frankly it is obvious to me.  So, what did I learn in the Osage?

  • People are more important than houses and cars and stuff
  • Tenacity is more important than skill or brain power
  • Pride and knowing who you can depend on come from home (invest in your home and friends)
  • No one person can stand up to pressure but when you know you have folks who support you hard times are just times of adjustment
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com



No comments: