Friday, October 12, 2012

Grainola Methodist Church and Kerney Graham

Grainola, Foraker and Webb City Methodist Churches were on a circuit so each Sunday whoever was the preacher had to go to all the churches and preach.  There was a lot of good things about that church but most of all it was the folks in the community.  I remember my folks making, yes - forced, me to go when I was a kid, just about every Sunday.  Today someone would call that child abuse but it was just normal.   We sat in the fourth row from the back on the north set of pews.  It seemed that everyone and every family had their own pew.  Marguarete and Jim and of course Jamie, Jon Tanny and Jay sat in the front on the south side to be close to the organ because Maggie (Marguarete) played the organ.  Boy was it a big deal when we got the organ on top of having a piano.  Larry and Dorothy Olsen, Tanny and Levi went to church in Dexter but on occasion came to Grainola.  Just about everyone came some of the time and especially on Christmas and Easter.  I gotta tell you a story someday about Larry and Dorothy, don't let me forget.

The men wore felt cowboy hats in the winter and straw cowboy hats in the summer.  You could always expect them to wear their best hat on Sunday.  It was always interesting to know that as their hats got older there was a sweat mark around the hat and soon enough they would get another.  I don't think anyone wore hats to avoid getting cancer but to keep the hot sun off their heads.  Now Carl McConaghy always wore a hat because he could feel the heat sooner than most, if you know what I mean.  It was a shame but when baseball type hats got in gear the cowboy hats started disappearing except for funerals and weddings.

OK, so back to Kerney and the church.  When you are growing up and especially when you have a young family there is always a preacher that comes up special.  In our case it was Kerney.  I remember his family coming over after church for our Sunday roast beef with potatoes and carrots.  It seemed that about once a month or so they would come over after church and we would sit around and visit.  Kerney had a great influence on our lives and at that time we had a very active MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship) which my brother Larry and C.H. Codding were especially active in.  The best part of MYF for me was that Cindy Hustead went to the Webb City location and was a member of the MYF.  I thought she was tops.  I never really did much with MYF and I don't really remember why other than It was about that time Kerney left and I started going to Shidler High School where I fell in love with sports.

Over the years my family always stayed in touch with Kerney and family.  As I remember he moved to Hominy and Newkirk and a few other towns over the years to serve a new group of families.  He seemed to always be the preacher of choice for weddings and funerals long after he left.  In fact he was the preacher at my dad's funeral and it was exceptional.  He expressed how when we are standing on this side of a wide body of water saying goodbye to dad who has just left us that there was another group of folks welcoming him home on the other side.  Now I don't know about you but that is about as clear a picture as I can think of when a person dies and Christ is welcoming them home.  I can still see Grandpa Olson and Grandma waiving at him saying, "Hurry, it has been too long and we want to hug your neck".  Kerney made the meaning of knowing my destination with Christ real and clear and simple.  He was a blessing.

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • A great leader is a great servant, just like Kerney
  • Even when you are sad someone is rejoicing on the other side
  • Dying is like trading commodities - there are winners and losers so it is best to make a good choice
  • Eternity can be a great journey if you choose Christ
  • Have a great day, it is YOUR choice
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: