Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Everyone starts somewhere

Over time I have become a big believer in that folks who have to overcome something do better in life.  I can give so many examples but I think of people who went through the depression like my mom who appreciate what they have and made something of themselves.  You see mom was a great saver and planner because she saw the value in planning ahead.  She learned to sew and can vegetables and fruit for the winter.  She learned to make a garden and feed livestock.  She made a home without air conditioners or carpet or a riding lawn mower but she made it with love and caring and great food.

Mom could drive a truck without brakes (not on purpose but she did it) loaded with hogs.  We were on our way to Ark City (Arkansas City, KS) to have some hogs butchered and smoked.  Now that was some great eat'n as dad use to say.  Anyway we were coming upon a corner on a gravel road north of Jamjaggers house (now that is a  mouthful and I don't know how to spell it) and the brakes did not work so mom started pumping them and down shifting the truck.  The stock racks came out of the holes on the truck and we were about to lose the load of hogs.  But mom took charge and we got things back on course and went on to Ark City.  She was pretty calm in the storm, if you know what I mean.  Now if dad were doing the driving he would have had some words with those stock racks and it would not have been pretty.  Dad was long on love but short on patience.

OK, back to folks overcoming.  Have you ever looked back at your ancestors who came to this country that never got on welfare or got government assistance to get themselves going?  What I saw was those who did not put their "hand out" saying they deserve something for nothing but said, "let me do the work and then you decide if I am worth the wage" were the folks that got ahead in life.  Now I do want to make one strong argument against this and that is during the depression people just could not pay you no matter how hard you worked.  It was really a very difficult time and if you don't believe it read a few books or talk to someone who went through it.

Another interesting argument point to make is there really were some folks who did not get a fair shot.  I heard a person ask if you could take America back to a better time when would that be and the person suggested 'the beginning' when America was a strong group of people driven by Christian principals.  But I heard another person say, "if I were a black man I would not be interested in going back to those times".  Well those are both correct answers.  There is not a perfect time to go back to or to go to but the time to do the right thing is now.  All of us have hard times but they just look different depending on where you are standing.

I have grown to admire a lot of folks around me who achieved a great life not necessarily filled with money but filled with friends and admirers.  Recently we thought of Charles Codding who shared his life without false pride but love and caring.  Dr. and Mrs. Williams who were missionaries.  I also think of folks who just used their creative talent and great work ethic and did become a financial success like Eddy Harris and Jon Tanny Olsen.  I also think of Ruby Williams who ran the gas station in Grainola and just made you feel great every time you stopped by.  And then there was Bob and Lizy Scott the bus driver and maintenance man and Lizy was our school cook who loved you everyday you came through the food line.

I don't know that I stuck with the theme I started with but I did get to reminisce about a few great folks who helped me to be an over comer.

What do you learn in the Osage?

  • Adversity is the key to success
  • Humility is the beginning of success
  • Hard work creates good luck
Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com




No comments: