Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Perfect Memorial Day

First off thanks for a few days off and yes my computer did crash and I did  have to totally rebuild all the software and files.

I know tomorrow is Memorial Day but there is something really special about 3 day weekends.  But first and foremost lets say thanks to all those who served in the armed forces.  I look back to Shidler and Grainola and all the surrounding areas and we were blessed to be surrounded with folks who cared enough for their country to serve.  I know that in my dad's family his parents had to live through WW II with ALL their children active in the service at one time during war.  Not all five were in danger but they were in the Pacific and Europe and three were in combat situations.  Uncle Phil was in the Navy and I just do not know where and of course Dad was repairing shot up airplanes. Uncle Mack, Stack and Rollin (Olie) were in the infantry with two in Europe and one in the Pacific.  Aunt Gladys (Mrs. Snyder) served during that time and then there was Uncle Snyd and Uncle Maif (never did know how to spell it) who served on Mom's side.  Uncle Snyd was a prisoner of war and was in the Bataan March which someday I will get that totally put together and give you the full story. 

But the one war I remember well was the Vietnam War and there were countless Shidler area students who served.  I am so proud of you who served and I want to sincerely say thanks.  I cannot say I fully understood that war but anyone who lays their life on the line so that we (you and me) can have our freedom to become what we want or to gripe and complain about the republicans or the democrats or the liberals and conservatives deserve a heartfelt THANK YOU!  That was a long sentence.  Anyway what I am saying is that it does not matter whether you agree or disagree but in America we are free not because of any politician but only because someone sacrificed their life for you and me.

God Bless our Soldiers, past and present.

Thanks for your time,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: